The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 21st, 2019, 8:17am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   agent vs attorney income and marketability?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: agent vs attorney income and marketability?  (Read 6765 times)
Agent
Re: agent vs attorney income and marketability?
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 4:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

AIPLA survey page 9 gives it "private agent" as 118 K median gross income.

It also gives "total expected cash income for 2007" of mean 124k USD and median of 115 K.

May be you are quoting the "salary" given on page 33. However, I suppose the salary would not include other compensation such as bonus and hence the difference.

Thanks
IP Logged
HenryHudson

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 4:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I think the main issue is top end.  

If you are a lawyer, you can earn 300k - 1million as a partner at a midsize or larger law firm.

If an agent, you are more restricted to being viewed as a support person.

As a lawyer, I think that agents can pretty much do whatever attorneys do for prosecution.  The real limitation is in litigation.

Anyway, it's a lifestyle choice as well.

Finally, somebody wrote:
" A new patent attorneys income opportunities vary markedly depending on the attorneys grades in law school, and the pedigree of the attended law school."

Well, yes, but this is an indirect cause.  It's really about where you get hired.  Big law - 145.  Small law - maybe 70.  Where you get hired, of course, is dependent on pedigree of law school and grades.

that person further wrote:
"As an anecdote, one patent agent told me that he believed his marketability was adversely affected by his attending a non ABA approved law school."

That's more than anecdotal.  Of course a non-ABA school would be a big negative on the resume.
IP Logged
daven

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24th, 2007, 3:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 19th, 2007, 4:32am, Agent wrote:
AIPLA survey page 9 gives it "private agent" as 118 K median gross income.

It also gives "total expected cash income for 2007" of mean 124k USD and median of 115 K.

May be you are quoting the "salary" given on page 33. However, I suppose the salary would not include other compensation such as bonus and hence the difference.

Thanks

BTW, according to that survey mechanical is the lowest paid of all specialties..
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »