The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 31st, 2023, 11:22pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Fresh engineer/India - needs adivce
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fresh engineer/India - needs adivce  (Read 1229 times)
prestononline

Fresh engineer/India - needs adivce
« on: Jan 21st, 2006, 8:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
I just completed my Bachelors degree in engineering(Electronics/telecom) in India and looking to make a switch. I just attended a interview in well established firm(since 1856) and they seem positive.   I have some questions though.

1. I am in a dilemma whether to take up this career or go for job in a engineering field, since India has lot of tech related jobs and it will stay like that for some time.

2. Do you recommend me to work in engineering field for some time to get more experience. Is it necessary/recommended to have engineering related work experience in the long run?

3. Would a graduate degree in engineering improve my chances?

4. I do not know what kind of job will I be facing as a fresher.

I am not worried about the short term as age(I am 21) is not a factor and I have no commitments.
I am just worried about long term as I know I could make a shift from engineering  to IP later but if I join an IP firm now switching back to engineering is not a viable option.

Or should I consider myself lucky if to join the firm. Since I suppose there are not many fresh engineers in this field.  

Your advice will be very helpful. Not many know about IP in India so  Senior members and other having some idea about how it is in Asia  please help.

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
Inventor2000
Re: Fresh engineer/India - needs adivce
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 5:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I believe that people should be in careers where they are valued.  Unfortunately agents are not valued in IP careers however good they are technically. I have Ph.D from major US univ and considered agent career. Here is my analysis why I stayed out of it.

Patent career is about helping inventors come up with better inventions. The money in IP career is the value of the invention for a corporation.  However, inventors are looked down by many attorneys eventhough their livelihood depends on their inventions. Myself with a Ph.D. figured out will be valued more in R&D than in IP career.

I would recommend that you go into a career where you will be treated better and valued for your work. If you want to go into patent career may be you should go for JD at this age.  If you want to go for the real fun stuff of inventions, go for a Ph.D/grad school.

Finally, I figured out that at the end of the day, after factoring in all benefits my salary is getting closer to the patent attorneys and better than if I am agent (several years back it is the other way). I can look forward to becoming director or even VP of R&D as many of my seniors did.

Also, few of my colleagues put up their own companies and came up with their own inventions. Now they are their own boses with multimillion dollar stock holdings. Thats definitely lot of fun and worthwhile.

Finally, I believe patent agent career is for someone who is entering IP career late in life or someone who wants to just have some income (almost retiring).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »