The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 11:20am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What should be on my book shelf?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What should be on my book shelf?  (Read 1659 times)
Michelle_Chun

Email

What should be on my book shelf?
« on: Jan 9th, 2006, 4:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello!
I was recently hired as a tech writer for a patent attorney.  My duties essentially include the drafting of patent applications.  The office primarily does utility and plant (to a lesser degree) patents.  Since I don’t have a science or engineering background, I am trying to locate good dictionaries of mechanical terms.  Can anyone suggest any?  Also, is there any text I should read that would help with describing spatial relationships–sort of like a guide to describing the 3 dimensional universe?  I wish I could find a thesaurus of mechanical terms!  That would be awesome!  For the patent stuff, my boss gave me Landis and Sheldon’s books.  What else should I have on my desk?

Thank you greatly,
Michelle
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: What should be on my book shelf?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 6:45pm »

The book "Patent It Yourself" by Pressman includes a glossary/list of terms.   Having Pressman seen on your shelf might be akin to an "Iron Chef" having a Betty Crocker cookbook seen in his kitchen.   But it is a bit of an easier start than delving into Landis right away, and IMO, it does not try to obscure its limitations.  

A reference I have found useful when describing mechanical stuff is Machinery's Handbook published by Industrial Press.   It's available in hardcopy and on cdrom.   It's very technical and a bit pricey (~90 dollars), and sometimes overkill for less complex mechanical stuff, but it's impressive looking on the bookcase.  You also don't necessarily need the latest revision.   On at least a couple occasions, the Handbook has kept me from describing a complex assembly that in detail when the assembly was already well known and named.   It can earn its keep when it helps with one application.

I tried googling around for mechanical glossaries on the internet a while back, but I did not come up with anything useful.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2006, 6:52pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

Re: What should be on my book shelf?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2006, 9:30am »

Michelle_Chun,

Read patents written by experienced agents/attorneys. In addition to providing technical information on inventions, well-written applications provide a wealth of information as to how to properly write an application and commonly used terms. Ask you boss for examples.  

Be malleable. Technical writing and patent drafting are different tasks.  

Good Luck,

Eric Stasik

IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm