The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 1st, 2020, 4:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Shortcut to have a Patent Career in Asia
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shortcut to have a Patent Career in Asia  (Read 1815 times)
waterville

Shortcut to have a Patent Career in Asia
« on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Happy New Year to everyone.

Being at age 27 and a Canadian, I would to embark my career in the Patent Engineering field.  I graduated from the top engineering school in Canada with Mechatronic Engineering degree (B.A.Sc.)).  However due to lack of luck, intense job competition in Canada and related patent experiences, I cannot get a patent related job either as Patent Trainee or technical consultant in Canada.  At the same time, I received an offer from the one of the IP boutique firm in Asia in engineering and biochemistry field.  Most of their legal work are completed in English.  I am thinking this is merely a shortcut or an opportunity for me to get into the Patent Field.

My question is, "If I move back to Asia for a few years to gain as many experiences as possible in the Patent Engineering field, and then eventually move back to North America to write either the Canada or US Patent Agent exam, will my foreign Asian experiences be discounted when I come back to America?"  Eventually I would like to become a Patent agent in North America.

Thanks for your opinion.
IP Logged
Sven Henstrom
Re: Shortcut to have a Patent Career in Asia
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 5:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would think experience in Asia could be very valuable. I know a US patent agent who got his first experience in Taiwan.  Then he moved back to the US and was quickly hired by a law firm.  He's doing very well now as a patent agent.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »