The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 12:06pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Is Physics Still a Viable Degree?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is Physics Still a Viable Degree?  (Read 1022 times)
modiglianni

Is Physics Still a Viable Degree?
« on: Dec 16th, 2005, 10:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am an attorney with two years of experience as a statute drafter and two of experience as a narcotics prosecutor.  I became interested in physics and a fortunate real estate investiment allowed me some time to pursue a second bachelor's degree.  I have always had an interest in patent law and plan to sit for the patent bar as soon as I have the 24 physics credits.  How viable is a bachelor's degree in physics in todays patent law market?
IP Logged
p@tent.guy

Re: Is Physics Still a Viable Degree?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 12:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As an undergraduate Physics and Astronomy major I can say first hand that a Physics degree still carries a great deal of weight.  

Specifically, if you look at the way the USPTO is broken up, http://www.uspto.gov/web/info/pat-tech.htm, someone with a physics degree can credibly file applications in 1700, 2100, 2600, 2800, 3600, and 3700 (2900 is a gimme). That's about as broad as you can get.  

I'm a former examiner and now work as a patent agent and licencing manager for a Fortune 100 company. My physics degree was definitely an asset in gaining the position.  

Good times.
IP Logged
Richard Peters
Re: Is Physics Still a Viable Degree?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the response.  It is nice to know all that time I spend calculating the boyancy force on a bar of lead floating in mercury at 467 degrees kelvin will actually come to something.  

Would you recommend going the patent examiner route?  Do you find that is it a strong asset to have later on in the private firm world?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »