The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 30th, 2020, 3:37am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Ethics q: showing portfolio of apps you've written
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ethics q: showing portfolio of apps you've written  (Read 1198 times)
HarrisonBergeron

Ethics q: showing portfolio of apps you've written
« on: Dec 13th, 2005, 11:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been working as a patent engineer for a while now, and am hoping to take the patent bar this coming Spring.

The first applications I wrote are just starting to get published, and I'm almost ready to submit a couple of my own personal applications.  I believe it's ethical to show these to prospective employers since they are either publicly published or are my own property.

However, I have a few very good ones that I wrote recently.  They've been filed, but won't be published for at least a year.

Is it a breach of professional ethics to allow a prospective employer (not a competing tech firm, but an IP firm) to view (not copy, not keep) these applications at an interview?  Should I get client permission (in writing or verbal?)?  Would a firm even want to see them, or would this be a giant no-no that would actually hurt my chances?

Also, what about office action responses which have already been processed, some of which are for patents that have now been issued?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Ethics q: showing portfolio of apps you've wri
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:25pm »

If you showed me filed, unpublished applications during an interview, I would not have a favorable impression of your understanding of and committment to client confidentiality.

I would not even consider asking my client for permission to disclose an unpublished application.

IP Logged

Isaac
HarrisonBergeron

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 12:42pm »

Sigh.  I was afraid of that.  I guess I'll have to rely on my own apps and the few published ones (which were pretty heavily edited by my manager), then.

(Just for the record, I don't even review stuff on the subway lest someone peek over my shoulder.)
IP Logged
Patent Scientist
« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2006, 1:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It would certainly be totally inappropriate to show unpublished patent applications to a prospective employer.  These are confidential and showing them to a potential employer would be a breach in confidentiality and could result in very severe sanctions and may result in court proceedings.  Simple answer: don't do it, never do it, don't even think about doing that.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »