The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 7th, 2020, 8:25am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Salary for a patent searcher
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Salary for a patent searcher  (Read 3858 times)
Rookie_1
Salary for a patent searcher
« on: Dec 9th, 2005, 5:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I recently graduated with a bsee and have been thinking about getting a job as a patent searcher.  Several job postings have requested "salary requirements".  Does anyone know a reasonable salary to expect?  I am a recent college graduate, so I'm not looking for a whole lot; I just want to get some experience with patents before deciding to go to law school for 3 years.  

Thanks,
John
IP Logged
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

Re: Salary for a patent searcher
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 9th, 2005, 5:54pm, Rookie_1 wrote:
I recently graduated with a bsee and have been thinking about getting a job as a patent searcher.  Several job postings have requested "salary requirements".  Does anyone know a reasonable salary to expect?  I am a recent college graduate, so I'm not looking for a whole lot; I just want to get some experience with patents before deciding to go to law school for 3 years.  

Thanks,
John

how about $45k?

the "salary" of an independent patent searcher depends on the amount of work performed and the fee per search - an independent patent searcher can expect to charge roughly $150-400 for a patent search for a mechanical concept - if about two to three such searches are performed each week, the "salary" can range $25-60k - of course, validity, collection and infringement searches take longer, and some patentability searches can have higher fees in some technical subjects, such as chemical/pharmaceutical, etc., but these relatively "non-standard" searches have higher fees - if the job offer involves such more complex searches, the "salary" should be comparably higher

also, if you will be required to perform "non-patent literature" (NPL) searches as well, the salary should reflect the additional effort involved - but be careful that the firm offering the job really knows what they are doing - you may want to ask whether they offer training, have searching guidelines, etc.

Fran Lorin www.patent.0catch.com
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005, 8:46am by franlorin » IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »