The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 7th, 2020, 8:35am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   2L Seeking summer associate position!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2L Seeking summer associate position!  (Read 4082 times)
Shit_You
Re: 2L Seeking summer associate position!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 8:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why are you so narrowly-minded? You are not a nice guy!  Tongue
IP Logged
larkas

« Reply #6 on: Dec 4th, 2005, 11:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

patent_bug_2007,

First, don't be worried if you do not get a summer associate position.  You can still get a job after graduation even if you need to work more for it.  I should know I have a CS background and did not get a summer position, but had 3 job offers by Labor Day after I graduated.

Second, you need to provide some more details.  

Are you only looking for work in a certain metropolitan area? Are you a patent agent? If not, do you at least qualify to take the exam? Is that noted on your resume, coverletter, or during the interview?  Have you taken patent classes? Is that noted on your resume, coverletter, or during the interview?  

Are you up to date with what is going on in the patent world? such as the Ebay case, NTP v. RIM, new statutory subject matter guidelines etc? Do you know the difference between system, computer-readable medium claims and method claims?  

Finally, how strong is your technical degree? What GPA did you have?  Did you have many hand-on classes? Are they noted on your resume?  Did you do any intresting projects? Are they noted in your coverletter?
IP Logged
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 6th, 2005, 5:40am »

on Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:27pm, patent_bug_2007 wrote:
I'm a 2L with CS background, top 25 law school, class ranking 20-30%, desperately in need to find a summer position. None of my callbacks worked out. Please email me the names of the firms that are still
hiring 2Ls or any other useful information. Thank you very much.

patent_bug_2007@yahoo.com

patent bug,

summer is still almost 6 months away - I think you still have lots of time to find a summer position (assuming it's for 2006?), or are you going to be studying during all of your available time until then?

Isaac is exactly right with the sarcastic response  Cheesy - you can easily find names of several patent firms just by browsing the postings in this forum
IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: Dec 6th, 2005, 6:58am »

From what I can tell, many law firms started taking applications around the 1st of December.   Some firms do not advertise a schedule for 2Ls apparently drawing from the 1Ls from the previous summer program.

IP Logged

Isaac
jay
2L Seeking summer associate position! me too
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11th, 2006, 9:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a 2L at a law school ranked around top 50.  My grades are barely top 1/2.  I have a BS and a MS in Electrical Engineering from a top 25 school.  I applied to most big and medium size IP boutiques last semester, got several callbacks, but none of them turned into an offer.  

What should be my strategy at this point in terms of 2L summer job search?  I assume most big/medium IP boutiques are done with their summer hiring.  I hear small firms don't usually hire law students because they don't have $ to invest on training them.  Then, what kind of firms should I target?  Should I still apply to all the IP firms that I haven't tried?  Or, would it better to try to get a BPAI internship at USPTO?  

Thanks a lot.  if you know of any firms that are still hiring summer associate, please let me know at junbug77m@yahoo.com
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »