The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 1st, 2020, 5:09am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   need your advise to become a patent attorney!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need your advise to become a patent attorney!  (Read 13479 times)
IPRLVR
Re: need your advise to become a patent attorney!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Actually, with regards to the Federal Practice issue. most firms are getting very strict.  When I joined my present firm, I had to get admitted to the DC bar within three months.  The line between practice of law in a State and Federal patent law is just too thin.  For instance, an assignment is a contract - arguably state law.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: need your advise to become a patent attorney!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 8:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know what the extent of that trend is.  I still see associates at DC firms listed as "supervised by X" when the attorney is not licensed in DC.   It does strike me as an inflexible arrangement.    

Certainly at large firms attorney's may get involved in activities that are not strictly practice before the patent office and thus would require being licensed in the state being practiced in.

But you picked an interesting example.   Very often the assignment that gets recorded at the patent office is wholly a boilerplate document reciting some consideration and the fact of the transfer.  The document is used simply for the purpose of recording the assignment at the PTO, while the details of the actual agreement is memorialized elsewhere (such as in the employment contract or other separate agreement).   Without getting into the details, I'd suggest that at least arguably, a non attorney to practice before the PTO can record such a document when the transfer is uncontested following the precedent in Sperry v. Florida.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »