The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 30th, 2020, 3:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   need your advise to become a patent attorney!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: need your advise to become a patent attorney!  (Read 13476 times)
Isaac

Re: need your advise to become a patent attorney!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 9:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:37pm, . wrote:
Nice deal.  Wish I knew about the deals in Oz.

What you need is a bar admission to a state and admission to the USPTO to say you are a patent lawyer.

The way to do it is:

Come back to the US, do a one year LLM and take state exam.  Most palces requires US citizienship, NY does not.  Thus, most foreigners take the NY bar exam.  Take the PTO bar.  Presto.  Instant patent lawyer.  No US JD required.

No state requires US citizenship to take the bar exam.  The Supreme Court has held that it is unconsitutional for states to have such a requirement.

Most states do require a JD/LLB from an ABA approved law school.  This is the obstacle faced by foreign educationed bar candidates.  

It is additionally the case that the federal government can and does place limitations on foreigners being able to gain registration to the patent bar.  Non citizens have to have a suitable immigration status to take the patent bar.   If the immigration status does not allow permanent residency, the foreign applicant can only get a limited recognition to practice for an employer.   I don't believe the limited recognition allows you to call yourself a patent agent or a patent attorney.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:08am by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Reza Shamzi
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

<<I have just checked the price for Mercedes-Benz S-Class S65 AMG Sedan and it is around $170,000 and I wonder how many of those engineers who have left messages in this forum, claim to make a good living drive this car>>

Typical Persian.  It's all about the money to impress other Persians.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:05pm »

I have a car with almost 170,000 miles on it.  It starts every morning, even in sub-zero weather.

Is that better or worse than costing $170,000?   Wink
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Isaac

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:23pm »

I have a car that has about the 170K on it and is just about 15 years old.  Given that it's primary function is to sit in the "Park & Ride" lot and not get broken into while I'm at work, I don't see a $170k car serving quite as well.
IP Logged

Isaac
franlorin

taxonomist-in- training

WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27th, 2005, 8:27am »

I have no car at all - public transportation gets me where I need to go, or, if necessary, a rental car

cars are really not that essential as personal possessions - depending on where you choose to live, of course
IP Logged

Fran Lorin
www.siberkhem.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »