The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 7th, 2020, 3:56am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Job market for patent agents/lawyers
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Job market for patent agents/lawyers  (Read 5489 times)
dandoe123

Job market for patent agents/lawyers
« on: Nov 8th, 2005, 1:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi.  I'll be one of those many students graduating in the near future with a PhD in immunology.  I know that I don't really desire to continue working as a basic research scientist upon graduation and so I'm contemplating alternative career options.  I'm seriously considering either going to med school afterwards or try my luck in the field of law (hopefully patent law).  I know that there will always be a need for medical doctors and in worst case scenario, I can open up own practice.  I've heard mixed comments about a career in law however.  Roughly speaking, how bright or bleak is the job market for patent agent with a PhD in biological sciences or for lawyers in general as I'm open to other aspects of law (e.g. public policy, etc).  Thanks.
IP Logged
Tom
Re: Job market for patent agents/lawyers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2005, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'd say the market for lawyers is saturated and therefore bleak.  Patent lawyers are more in-demand than regular lawyers, though there is still a lot of competition out there. I would say it is just shy of being saturated and bleak.  My advice, if you are going to do it, make sure you get awesome grades in school.  That iswhat gets you summer clerkships, and then higher paying jobs with big firms.
IP Logged
Raas
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 10:07pm »

It seems that biotech patent practice has dried out recently!  I know someone who has PhD, JD + 10yrs of wet lab. He finished his law school a year ago and still looking for job.

Well, you can practice real estate, immigration etc.  Salary is same.  You don't get any special pay for having ability to understand scientific facts! Firms bill for your legal knowledge and skills (i.e., JD).  Firms generally don't bill for your knowledge and skills in science.

There are lawyers with MD degree.  Some practice personal injury and few in patent law too!

Some people are naturally good for law practice.  It depends on who you are and what you want to be! Law practice is bit rough!  I guess, medical practice  is smooth.
IP Logged
vtswza

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2006, 9:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It helps alot if you have good soft skills too. your friend could have all the technical ability in the world and a decent law school diploma but noone wants the typical techie wierdo anymore.
IP Logged
Sven Henstrom
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2006, 5:53pm »

The market for patent attorneys seems to have changed in the last 10 years.  In the early to mid-90's, the market was quite hot, and there was a great deal of hiring.  Since then, many non-patent attorneys have swarmed into the practice of intellectual property.  So, whereas a patent attorney may have once also handled trademarks and/or litigation, there is now intense competition from attorneys without technical degrees to do that work.  Consequently, there is less of a demand for patent attorneys, especially in large law firms.

An alternative to going to law school is to take the Patent Office exam, become a patent agent, and get some experience writing patent applications.  Even some large law firms hire patent agents.  You can get a feel for the practice first, without the huge investment in law school.  Then, if it looks promising from the inside, you can consider law school.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »