The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 5th, 2020, 1:07am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   suggestions or help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: suggestions or help  (Read 1326 times)
LSAT

suggestions or help
« on: Nov 6th, 2005, 4:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

To describe myself, I have done my BS in Computer and Information System in year 2001. Since then, I am working as a Consultant in an IT firm. I have gained almost 4 years of experience. I have valid H1 visa. I would like to take a chance and see if I can start my career as an IP attorney. For this purpose, I have applied in few Law schools for upcoming Fall 2006. I still have to take LSAT.

Looking at the current IT industry, I have seen more layoffs than hires in the past few years. IT jobs are being out-sourced, and I am scared that I can hold this postition for the long period of time.  

Looking at my above senario, do you think that its worth to start my career as an IP attorney? I have absolutely no knowledge of USPTO. Is it necessary to take USPTO exam? Or is it mandated that every IP attoney should take one?
IP Logged
LSAT

Isaac Clark
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 2:32pm »

Isaac Clark, can u answer this?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: suggestions or help
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 2:57pm »

I'll try, but my answer is one person's opinion.  I'll try to indicate places where my answer is only guess work.

When you ask about becoming an "IP" attorney it is not clear whether you want to practice prosecution or wish to practice other types of law (e.g. copyright, trademark, trade secret).   Assuming you want to practice patent prosecution, my guess is that your degree is not in a subject that qualifies you for taking the patent bar without a complete review of your transcript.  I am also guessing from the title of your degree that you would need additional course work.   IT courses generally do not satisfy the PTO's requirements.    

With an H1 status you can take the patent registration exam if that is consistent with your immigration status.   My guess is that you might have some issues trying to establish a proper status if you are being sponsored to do IT work.   You essentially need to have a relevant job lined up but finding a job without being registered probably is not so easy.  

Immigration status is not an obstacle to going to law school or to becoming licenses as a lawyer as long as you are in the country legally.   Your chances at working as a non patent prosecuting "IP" lawyer are as good as anyone's in my opinion.   I cannot say whether that means that they are good.   Your next step is to do well on the LSAT.
IP Logged

Isaac
LSAT

Isaac Clark
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 9:02am »

Isaac Clark, thanks for answering my questions.  

I will be going to Law School this coming Fall 06, and concentration would be in Technology and Intellectual Property Law. So when I am done with JD, I will be practicing copyright, trademark, and patents law.  

I will take USPTO exam, not sure if its a requirement or no. I will not have no problem with my visa staus, since I already checked with the school, and also find the info in USPTO website that they will let H1 to take the test. I will have to send them transcripts to see if I can qualify to take the test or no.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: suggestions or help
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 11:13am »

H1's can take the registration exam if doing so is consistent with the reason for their entry into the US.  I am not an immigration law expert, but I think the PTOs published information leaves is an open question as to whether a person who was admitted for a job other than filing patent applications would be allowed to take the exam.  

In any event you only need to take the exam if you intend to offer services involving paents and the USPTO.   You don't need to register with the USPTO to file trademark applications with the PTO or to practice copyright law.   For those things you need a state bar license.

Good luck with your endeavors.   If you successfully arrange to take the patent registration exam, I hope you'll tell us about that.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »