The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 1st, 2020, 3:52am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   IP Boutique versus General Practice Firm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IP Boutique versus General Practice Firm  (Read 4159 times)
jim mccracken
IP Boutique versus General Practice Firm
« on: Nov 4th, 2005, 11:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have to decide whether to accept an offer at a Wall Street law firm in the IP department (prosecution + litigation) or one from an IP boutique in DC.  The boutique is paying more for 1st-year associates and has a lower billable hours requirement.  I am afraid, however, that the boutique offers less job security.  I also think I will be more marketable in 2-3 years having worked in NYC.  Does anyone have any input here?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: IP Boutique versus General Practice Firm
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2005, 6:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You've identified some valid concerns, but I don't see how anyone can help you sort those things out.

As some general advice, when considering a first position you ought to also consider what kind of training you would be getting, how comfortable you are with the working environment, when you'll be getting client contact and a number of other things.

Hopefully you got some feel for those things during the interview process.

But it is not unreasonable that your main concerns would be those things you put in your post.  If so, you'll have to come up with your own answer because the answer is highly personal.

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2005, 8:00am by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Raas
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2005, 10:15pm »

I guess, boutique is better for beginners.  You get good training in boutiques.

IP Logged
IPLVR
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 6:11am »

I agree. Having worked at both a boutique and a GP, go to work for a boutique - you get better training and probably have a better chance of getting involved with other technologies or litigations.  At my firm, there is a global divide between mechanical and chemical work.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 8:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm reading a lot of generalization about big firms.   While interviewing at a few large firms I got the distinct impression that the opportunities available at large firms differ greatly.  At some firms it did seem like an attorney involved in patent prosecution would have difficulty becoming involved with litigation, but that did not seem to be the case at all  big firms.

OTOH some boutiques seem to be looking for already trained up laterals and don't seem to have any more time to spend on training than do the big firms.

I don't have extensive experience, but I'm a little sceptical about general application of th ebig/small firm distinctions I'm seeing here.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »