The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2020, 4:34am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Fixing for a career change into IP very soon
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fixing for a career change into IP very soon  (Read 985 times)
Drew_Ehrlich

Fixing for a career change into IP very soon
« on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello. I have many questions regarding my career change into patent law. First I'll punch through a little background:

I have a B.S. in Biochemical/Chemical Engineering from UCDavis where I graduated in '03. I've been working at Humboldt State University as a chemistry lab instructor and also lab support.  

I purchased the Irving Kayton course for IP and I'm nearly finished. I will take the test in november. Has anyone heard of Irving Kayton? Is this guy the standard in patent law or has anyone heard of him? Does anyone use his course for reference?  

My father is a patent lawyer in Humboldt County (northern california), and he (i think) took his schooling from Kayton decades ago. Anyways he is a business owner and has no time for patents, but he wanted to be able to give me his work, as he is the only registered patent practitioner north of Santa Rosa here in california.  

My questions are many. FIrst, what tools are used by the "cutting edge" patent agent? Rather, since Irving Kayton and my father are both dinosaurs, what is there to know as far as getting started using efficient tools for searching and drafting? I noticed some software available on the internet; mostly for non-patent practitioners. Do most patent practitioners find it most effective to use the USPTO search engine? Do you all correspond via US Mail and do you have any source for references or communications layouts?  

Further, where is the future in patent practitioners heading? Is it going to be of my best interest to learn patent laws of another country and work to specialze in securing U.S. patents for foreigners?  

Is there any "indispensible" website favorite (besides, say, this one) for patent practitioners?  

Thank you for any and all help!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »