The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2020, 6:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Law Employment Future
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Law Employment Future  (Read 3909 times)
john jackson
Patent Law Employment Future
« on: Aug 31st, 2005, 3:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I just graduated last Spring with a BSEE and I am going to work this next year most likely as a software or hardware tester.  My plan is to attend law school starting fall 2006 to become a patent attorney.  

I am almost positive I will get into Seattle U but my goal is the University of Washington.  Obviously UW would be the better school for job prospects four years from now, but I want to work in the Seattle/Portland area so Seattle U might be the only other school I consider.  

First off, is this a mistake to choose a school like Seattle U that has mainly a regional reputation?  Does anybody have any kind of an outlook for the next 5 years as far as the job market for patent attorneys in the Northwest?  I don’t want to pay for three years of school and then not find a job when I get out.

Additionally, I will only have an internship in the telecom industry plus this next year as engineering work experience.  Will this hurt my job prospects as a patent attorney?

Any advice or information you could give would be appreciated.  Thanks.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Patent Law Employment Future
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 12:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is just one persons opinion of course.

As you are aware UW has a significantly stronger national reputation.  U of Seattle may be okay if you are not planning or are forced to leave the region, but that may be difficult to predict.  When I attended law school in NC, I had no intention of leaving the area, but I'm not working in the DC area.

Before choosing the regional school, size up the reputation in the area for yourself.  See who hires those grads and talk to some alum if possible.  

I won't speculate on the job market of 2009.  I will point out that the market for patent attorneys changed significantly for the worse during my time in law school  although it is recovering.

Don't sweat having a short length of time in the tech industry.   While I think experience is helpful in doing the job, I don't see a lot of evidence that long periods of experience are attractive to hirers.

IP Logged

Isaac
john j.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:02pm »

Thank you for the reply.  I will definetly do my best to get in touch with alum before making any decision, and perhaps before even applying.
IP Logged
polar
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2005, 3:06am »

hellow,please tell me some best us ip agent firm,thank you! ;D
IP Logged
indy611

« Reply #4 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 8:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a bs in physics and am planning to go to the University of Baltimore law school in the fall.  I live in the Baltimore area and took an engineering job before I knew that I had gotten into UB.  I still want to be involved with science and become a lawyer but I am increasingly worried that I will not be able to find a good job right out of school or that I will have to move to some other part of the country.  So I'm having second thoughts on my career plan and am considering staying in engineering to play it safe.  I believe that I would like patent law better though and I'm trying to ease my conscience about employment and earning potential since i will be significantly in debt after graduation.  any thoughts?  I appreciate any advice that anyone might have.  thank you in advance.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »