The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2020, 12:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   I.P. in Chemical Sciences a Viable Career?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I.P. in Chemical Sciences a Viable Career?  (Read 858 times)
inspiredbysnow

I.P. in Chemical Sciences a Viable Career?
« on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I read over 100 posts on this forum on this subject, but most of the posts were pertaining to engineering or computers.

My background in brief:  B.S. in Chemistry/Biochemistry
and M.S. in Chemistry [both degrees from a tier on school, University of CA].  Also, I have 2 years at the lab bench after graduation. I am strongly considering attending law school & I am close to getting a clerkship at an IP firm.

My concerns:  
*Is my M.S. sufficient for a successfully IP career in the Chemical Sciences?
*How hard will it be to find a $135K+ salary if I attend a tier 2 school & end up in the top 15% of the class or if I get into a tier 1 school but end up in the middle of the class?
*Are a lot of the IP work for the chemical/pharmaceutical sciences being sent off-shore to India like in the computer industry?

I thank everyone in advance for the advice.  I apologize to anyone for my mistakes in this message or my general ignorance on the subject.
IP Logged
Tommy
Re: I.P. in Chemical Sciences a Viable Career?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The most important thing is to do well in the first semester or year and to get a summer job with a patent firm or with a big firm in the patent department.  Gain experience that way, and keep the grades up for the next two years, and the high paying job is possible.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »