The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 14th, 2020, 10:11am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Advice  (Read 1450 times)
JavaPatent

Career Advice
« on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 9:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am currently prepping to take the Patent Bar exam later this summer and am seeking career advice:

I earned my JD (1997), am a member of the NYS bar and have MS in computer science and BS in Biology.  I earned my MS after earning my JD.  For the past 3.5 years I've been working for one of the nation's largest defense contractors, developing IT solutions, proposal writing, and new business development.  

The sole problem here is my lack of legal experience (none, other than school internships).  What is the best approach for finding work in NYC?  Should I seek a job a law firm or private industry as a patent agent?  Where should I search to find NYC employment?  Where are the jobs hiding?  What kind of salary range am I looking at when all is said and done (i.e. for NYC)?

I've learned that legal headhunters are pretty much non-responsive to my requests and my lack of legal experience is also holding me back.  My core strength is my technical/legal writing (I have published papers) and out-of-the-box thinking.  Constructive advice, please?!??

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2005, 9:35am by JavaPatent » IP Logged
Jon Spiteri
Re: Career Advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 1:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hello, i dont have any advice for you but im very curious about your situation.  I also work for a defense contractor in new york with a bsee and a ms in systems and am interested in going into patent law.  what schools around here do you recommend?  does hofstra have a good program?  
my real question is why do you want the change?  thanks
jon
IP Logged
PiP

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 2:22pm »

Is there any way that you can get in touch with the intellectual property within your company's legal department? Alternatively, how about contacting their legal council? If you do this, then you can legitimately lay claim to knowing the subject matter of the legal work and your inside knowledge may be valuable. Even if you have to take pay cuts, the experience you gain is valuable and you can start looking for entry level position after year 1 and a competative/good position after 3.  If you follow this, please update your status on the forum. I've given this advice a couple times here but no word on whether people take it or not.  ...heh, probably not.
IP Logged
JavaPatent

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 6:38am »

The sheer size of my company affords them the ability to keep their counsel 100% in-house.  Breaching that "closed-circle" involves >15 years of experience plus some well-placed contacts.
IP Logged
larkas

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2005, 3:58pm »

JavaPatent,  

You did not state whether you want to litigate patents or prosecute patents.

However, if at all possible, you may want to check out San Francisco/Silicon Valley or Seattle firms, not New York firms. Many of the West Coast firms are hiring a lot as computer work has picked up over the last 3-6 months. New York City firms by comparision has a lot less computer-related work. Computers will be but a small portion of what they will have you working on and will hurt your chances of being hired in NYC.

I have a background close to yours (BS in Biological Sciences; BS in Computer Science) and my only law experience is working part time at an IP firm since last October. I passed the patent bar but do not have my results from the CA bar.  

Yet, in the past few weeks my phone has been ringing off the hook for interviews. Many of the firms I have spoken with have multiple software patent positions open and with your background you have a very good chance of being hired.

Privately message me if you want to know which firms.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »