The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 18th, 2020, 6:54am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?  (Read 2870 times)
chemagent

Re: Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 9:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I got hired from a program of cold mailing of resumes to law firms in Chicago.  Here's how I did it: (1) went to martindale.com and found 46 or so law firms with IP practice groups, (2) identified 25 or so with recruiter contact information on that site, (3) mailed 25 resumes via snail mail on bond paper and using quality bond envelopes to the recruiter contact person, and addressed them directly by name, and (4) got lucky.  One interview - one offer - one job.  Good luck.
IP Logged
ChrisWhewell

WWW Email

FOR those desiring to be Patent Agents.....
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 9:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm an Agent, with 8 years experience as the Senior drafter/prosecutor for a $11 B global chemical company.  I retired when they left town in May, and now operate as a free agent, while attending grad school at www.ic2.org in the tech commercializatin program.

Without any patents under your belt, you may find it tough to land a job, just as a mechanic with a certificate who has never pulled a cylinder head off an engine.  Basically, the bar is a tight-Knit fraternity, and if you don't have a bar card, you willl always be in the role of whipping boy.  That is why there are so few agents around - most can't find a long-term satisfying situation that pays the big bucks.  

My recommendation - you will need to find someone who likes you.  You will need to socialize with lawyers and get one to like you.  Taking you on will require a big investment of their time/money, with little to gain from their perspective, unless you sign a 10-year contract or something of that ilk.  You will need for someone to like you, partly because of your good track record in drafting and prosecution, and partly becuase you are a neat and cool guy.  emails and faxes are bland electrons on a screen/paper, and are a good way to blend in well with all the other faxes and emails.  To really stand out, you need to stand up and shake some hands.  Sign up for some continuing legal education in your area.  Those rooms are packed full of lawyers.  One might just like you.

What is your area of specialty ?  Maybe I can send you a case to work on.

agent@inventorweb.com
IP Logged

Chris Whewell, M.S.
Charles Jones
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2005, 11:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My specialties would be software and electronics.  If you have any patent work in that area, and could pass some my way, I'd love to get my start that way.  

Also, a followup question.  Since my background is in technical writing, I am tempted to send, to the law firms -- along with my resume -- a writing sample.  I have one white paper, in particular, something on some specialized radio technology, that I think would just "Wow" them.  Plus, they must see tons of resumes, so I would think, sending something extra, an especially strong writing sample, might be one way to make a strong impression.

On the other hand, I'm sure these attorneys have tons of paper on their desks anyway.  So, maybe sending a writing sample along with the resume, on a first contact, is too much paper, and a bit of a presumption.  So I could use feedback here -- send a writing sample with the first contact, or not?

Thanks!
IP Logged
Tommy
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 9:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Ask a lawyer out to lunch.  I was very timid about this at the start as well, but you would be amazed how helpful people are willing to be, especially if there is free food involved.  Look people up on the web, and find one who looks like you might be able to have a conversation with.  Because the patent community in towns is relatively small, even if that specific contact doesnt work out, they might lead you to other people, and then you can say "So and so told me to call you", which is even more helpful.  Just like anything else, just go do it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »