The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 12th, 2020, 10:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?  (Read 2855 times)
Charles Jones
Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?
« on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I passed the U.S. patent bar exam recently, and expect to receive the official paperwork in the next few weeks which will annoint me as a registered patent agent.  My next goal is to contact law firms in my area;  armed with this new license, plus past experience in the technology field, I will be seeking work with a law firm.

Simple question:  I plan to cold contact IP law firms.  When I do so, is it better to use e-mail to send a cover note and attached resume;  or is a snail-mail letter and resume the preferred mode of contact?

Any additional advice, suggestions, and/or hints on approaching the law firms would certainly be welcome.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

CJ
IP Logged
Eliz

Re: Sending resumes to law firms -- how to?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26th, 2005, 10:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since no one else has jumped in here, I'll offer my opinion.  I think email is a bad way to go.  First, anybody who has had their email address for a while gets TONS of junk mail and many people just delete everything that is not from someone they know.  Second, maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but email just seems to informal for sending resumes (unless, of course, you are specifically instructed to do it that way).  

If it were me, I would send cover letters and resumes via snail mail, on nice resume paper, in nice envelopes.  

Also, I'm sure you probably realize this, but if there is any way you can make a contact with anyone at any of these firms, your resume will be much less likely to go straight in the circular file.  Networking is hard and outside of most people's comfort zones, but my understanding is that it's how many (if not most people) wind up getting their positions.  

Good luck!
IP Logged
IPLVR
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28th, 2005, 6:08pm »

I would say just e-mail them.  I work at a major law firm and everyone has their inboxes stuffed.  If you have the resume in electronic format you can forward it.
IP Logged
indiantm

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 7:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would say go for both. Send an email and follow-up with a snail-mail letter.

With advances in technology, preferences have changed. Some prefer it via email where as some stil want it the old fashioned way.

Since it concerns your career, I would say make the best of both worlds.  

All the best to you !
IP Logged

Indian TM for foreign companies - Register trademarks, service marks, copyrights, industrial designs and geographical in India
jack
« Reply #4 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 10:57am »

What about faxing?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »