The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2020, 10:52am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Your adventure story as a patent agent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Your adventure story as a patent agent  (Read 2898 times)
Anon
Re: Your adventure story as a patent agent
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 1:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think he means that, of the 300 attorneys/agents in his area, only 50 are listed by name in the "Attorney, Agent or Firm" field on the patent face (and in the patent database).   But hey, that's just my guess.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 1:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ttglink wrote  “To earn a decent living, one must process at least 14 cases a year as a patent agent.”

I don’t know where ttglink got the 14/year number; but here’s an observation” in 2003 the USPTO received:

353,391 utility, plant and reissue applications,
  23,468 design applications, and  
  45,396 PCT applications
=======
422,255 total

According to the PTO web site there are currently 7224 patent agents + 23,793 patent attorneys, for a total of 31,017 patent practitioners.

total applications in 2003 / practitioner = 13.6 applications per year per practitioner

Of course this does not figure in all the pro se applications or the fact that many US applications are essentially duplicates of other applications, perhaps with modified claims.  This 13.6 figure also does not take into account that many practitioners listed as “active” on the PTO data base rarely or never file an application; and many applications are ghosted and then reviewed by a practitioner, signed and filed.  

Nevertheless, 14 cases per year may be a useful ballpark estimate for the number of cases filed per year by the “typical” practitioner.

Rich T
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
bjr
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 3:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

In my experience as a patent agent, I would imagine that the average amount of apps filed per year by a patent agent would range from 30-70 depending upon the complexity of the apps.  I personally average 3-6 apps per month (including design apps which may only take a few hours).  Of course the patent attorneys at my firm draft a lot less apps, as they concentrate on other areas of IP.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »