The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2020, 9:59am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   master of intectual property for non-law scientist
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: master of intectual property for non-law scientist  (Read 4302 times)
Eliz

Re: master of intectual property for non-law scien
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 6:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's unclear as of yet.  The rule says "Credit for a J.D. degree shall only be given for course work taken after the student has matriculated in a law school. A law school may not grant credit toward the J.D. degree for work taken in a pre-admission program."  From the language, it's pretty clearly intended to apply to classes taken at a non-law school (e.g. in a pre-law program at an undergrad institution), not classes taken at an accredited law school with JD students.  I am still pursuing this, so I don't want to post a ton of info about the situation until it is resolved.  I just wanted to make sure that Jinyu knew that transferring credits might not be as easy as the people trying to recruit him/her into a program might say (I was told it wouldn't be a problem).  
IP Logged
Jinyu Liu
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 7:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Eliz,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. It helps me to make a more wise decision.
IP Logged
Anon
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 10:09pm »

on Jul 18th, 2005, 6:31pm, Eliz wrote:
I just wanted to make sure that Jinyu knew that transferring credits might not be as easy as the people trying to recruit him/her into a program might say (I was told it wouldn't be a problem).  

Eliz,

Thanks much for the reply.  I looked into a similar IP program (also offered through a law school) a few years ago.  At least at that time, the masters courses (even those offered to JD students) were not transferable into that school's JD program when taken pre-JD.  Anyway, I hope things turn out better for your situation.

Jinyu,

I was a patent agent (and before that a patent examiner) for several years before finally committing to law school.  Based on my experience, I suggest that you either:  (a) start law school as soon as you can, or (b) find some other line of work.  I could elaborate, but it's late and I'm ready for bed.   If you really want to hear more, let me know and I'll try to post again another day.
IP Logged
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 1:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 18th, 2005, 10:09pm, Anon wrote:
Jinyu,

I was a patent agent (and before that a patent examiner) for several years before finally committing to law school.  Based on my experience, I suggest that you either:  (a) start law school as soon as you can, or (b) find some other line of work.  I could elaborate, but it's late and I'm ready for bed.   If you really want to hear more, let me know and I'll try to post again another day.

Anon's comment reminds me the "advice" I received from another US patent attorney who said "If you're not a lawyer, you have no future in this business." Two years after hearing this, said US patent was subordinate to me - a non-lawyer patent engineer.  

The thing is this: both he and Anon are right. If you want to work as a patent attorney, then not being an attorney is a hinder. But this is the view of a patent attorney who sees the patent business as primarily a legal matter. For the past century, it was true that the business of patents was confined to the musty, dusty desks of attorneys.  

But the business is changing. Whilst still being legal documents, patents today involve much more than than legal issues and to many businesses patents are central to success. With some exception, patent attorneys are experts in patent law and civil procedure. This expertise is of course essential to the business of patents. But the business of patents requires a great deal more than simply knowledge of the law.  

In my job as a consultant, I describe myself as a patent engineer, but what I do is business development. I don't write or prosecute patents, I help clients develop patent strategies that support their business goals. In other words, I don't file patents, I help them decide what patents to file. This is a completely different role than that of a patent attorney.  

If you want to work in a law department, or in a law firm, as a patent agent then you will always be a second class citizen. Outside the law department, there are numerous opportunities for "non-lawyers" in the patent business and there will be more.  

A masters of IP law seems to me like a waste of time for a non-lawyer to pursue. That sort of expertise is a dime a dozen (well, several hundred dollars per hour, but there is no shortage of people available to hire.) What you should pursue is a MBA with a focus on finance and business development.  

I expect that before too long specialized MBA-IPR programs will be developed, but for the moment, I am not aware of any worth the effort. London University has a program that they call MBA-IPR, but it focuses mostly on patent law and isn't really that interesting for someone who is already a patent agent.  

Anyway, do not be discouraged by patent attorneys who insist that you have to be an attorney to make a career in patents. You do not.  

Good luck,

Eric Stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
Jinyu Liu
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 1:29pm »

Thanks to everyone who replies my message. I really appreciate it. Basically I have had the conclusion that a master of IP is not a very good chose for getting into patent agent field. Hope people who are new to this field and have similiar thoughts as me can read the messages in here as well.

Jinyu
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »