The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 1st, 2020, 1:16am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   master of intectual property for non-law scientist
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: master of intectual property for non-law scientist  (Read 4310 times)
MING CHIEH CHANG
Re: master of intectual property for non-law scien
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 5:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My dissenting comment.

MIP helps me in fully understanding court (patent) cases.  If I would ever want to go for JD that's because I want to be a patent attorney rather than a patent agent (practitioner under "limited recognition").  I don't expect my knowledge and understanding of patent law will improve by getting a JD degree.  My situation is different in that I was familiar with US patent law and had a lot of patent prosecution experience prior to getting my MIP.  I am not sure, however, whether it matters exposing to patent practice prior to exposing to law education.  I do believe patent law is only a very small area of law where technical background and prosecution expertise matter a lot.

Peter Chang
IP Logged
Eliz

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 6:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Peter--Do you think that the masters increases the chances of getting a patent agent job?  If I understand you correctly, you already had a job, and then got the masters.  Also, if you don't mind my asking, I am curious as to whether your employer paid for your degree, and whether you got any sort of reward (other than just a better understanding of the subject matter) upon completion of the degree.  I guess what I am getting at is what kind of value your employer placed on the degree.
IP Logged
Ming Chieh Chang
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 9:52pm »

My company sponsered my MIP.  And, without pursuing the degree (out of my own initiative), I probably will not be working under H-1B visa here and be eligible for and pass the exam.  Any value would be personal though.

Peter Chang
IP Logged
Jinyu Liu
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19th, 2005, 10:55pm »

Peter-- Do you mind if I ask what school you attended to obtain your MIP? Do you have a JD before you went to complete your MIP? If I understand you correctly, your MIP helped you to get your current job? Thanks,

Jinyu
IP Logged
larkas

« Reply #14 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The John Marshall Law School in Chicago is suppose to be starting one. No information on it from the web site, but I know it has been approved of by faculty since I was a student and hear things through the g****vine. It could be a year or so before it gets off the ground.

Under the proposal, masters of science in intellectual property law would share many, if not all, of its classes with the LLM program in IP. This has some advantages and disadvantages. For one thing, the classes should be able to be used for JD degree -- no official word though, probably because the mentioned ABA rule. However, you may be at a disadvantage since most of the class will be attorneys or JD students.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »