The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 5th, 2020, 12:50am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   master of intectual property for non-law scientist
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: master of intectual property for non-law scientist  (Read 4375 times)
Jinyu Liu
master of intectual property for non-law scientist
« on: Jul 18th, 2005, 1:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would like to find a list of schools that offer master of intectual property for non-law graduates such as scientists or engineers etc. I know the Franklin Pierce Law Center provides a one-year program. Are there similiar programs in anywhere else? Any hint will be appreciated.
IP Logged
Eliz

Re: master of intectual property for non-law scien
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Wash U offers an MJS program.
IP Logged
Jinyu Liu
« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 2:31pm »

Thanks a lot. Will a master degree in IP significantly increase my chance of getting into the patent agent field? I have a Ph.D. in Biophysics and several years research experience and I am planning to pass the IP exam in the coming months.
IP Logged
Eliz

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 3:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I will be interested to see what others have to say on this.

It probably depends somewhat on the geographical area...in places where patent agents are in high demand, it may help.  But in areas where patent agents are not commonly hired, I doubt that having a masters will help much.  

A few points to consider:  

1.  These masters programs are fairly new and not very common.  You will have to explain to pretty much EVERYONE what exactly the program is (including the JD students and at least some of the people interviewing you for jobs).  Since these masters degrees are not a widespread thing, I am not sure how much employers will value them.    

2.  I don't know about Franklin Pierce, but there isn't really any merit-based financial aid available at Wash U for their MJS program.  Hence, the program is expensive.  If that's a concern for you, you may be better off financially (or it may wind up being about the same in terms of cost) just doing a JD...with a PhD you should be able to get at least some scholarship help.  

3.  If they tell you that transferring your credits to the JD program won't be a problem if you decide you want to get a JD, get it in writing....otherwise it could turn into a big hassle if you decide that's what you want to do.  Also realize that other law schools might not be very open to transferring those credits towards a JD.  

I went into the MJS program with the expectation that it wasn't necessarily something that would help me land a great job.  But it was a good option for me at the time, because after grad school, I didn't want to invest another 3 years in law school without knowing for SURE that it was what I wanted to do.  Plus, I was pretty burnt out and didn't want to start full-time law school right away.  The MJS program helped me figure out that I did want to get a JD, and I am now starting law school in the fall.  

Hope that helps!
IP Logged
Anon
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 4:14pm »

on Jul 18th, 2005, 3:26pm, Eliz wrote:
If they tell you that transferring your credits to the JD program won't be a problem if you decide you want to get a JD, get it in writing....otherwise it could turn into a big hassle if you decide that's what you want to do.  Also realize that other law schools might not be very open to transferring those credits towards a JD.  

Eliz,

I would have figured that ABA requirements prohibit pre-JD credits from transferring into a JD program.  Will your credits transfer?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »