The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 1st, 2020, 1:43am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What is the best route at a career in patent lit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is the best route at a career in patent lit  (Read 5963 times)
PiP

Re: What is the best route at a career in patent l
« Reply #25 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

TEN, go post that crap in your MS Word document or something.  Keep it off of the forums as it takes up space.

ACD, don't worry about it, man.  Like Eliz says, a lot of people are getting lifetime commitments at this age!  The firms are going to judge you on work output in the end and you are just going to have to be efficient about it.  Don't worry about it.  Everyone is in the same boat on this stuff.  Oh, and I'm sorry about the vacation thing not working out.  I was totally hoping you'd get to go!

I can't wait to interact with the younger students.  This whole getting my PhD thing has totally ruined social activities and I miss all the work hard/party hard people.  If I don't get into a top tier school I'm going some place fun, goddamnit!  Miami sounds okay...

xieta_IP, thanks for the information.  At least one person has heard Yeshiva!  I totally agree with you: Fordham has nice rep.  This one's tough tho: is Yeshiva better than St. John's?  My god, these applications are going to drain any last bits of money I have!
IP Logged
PiP

« Reply #26 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 10:08am »

Cardozo discussion on another forum in case anyone is interested.
IP Logged
tech spec
« Reply #27 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 3:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This may have been beaten to death, but if possible, go to the best school you can get into, unless a large ammount of financial aid is involved.  I am a tech spec in one of the largest IP firms and even though my firm is a technical background sleeper, they still look at your law school and your law grades.  Very closely. If you don't have an MEng from MIT, you'd better be in the top 10% of Cardozo (or a comparable school).  If you go to Fordham/GW/BU, you will be OK if you are in a top 1/3 and have a EE degree (or PhD. in Bio/Chem, etc).  Columbia and NYU pretty much guarantee you a job (at least here) and depending on your technical background, you might be pushed either in litigation or prosecution.  Anyways, as usual, selectivity varies among firms and there will be firms that are either more or less selective. However, by going to the best school and getting the best grades, you will keep the most doors open by the time you graduate.
IP Logged
PiP

« Reply #28 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 3:54pm »

Thanks for the insight, Tech Spec!  

What do you know/think about clerking during law school?

This thread makes me smile every time I read it! Grin
IP Logged
tech spec
« Reply #29 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

first of all, in my previous message, the admins replaced "technical background wh*re" with sleeper(?) Hmm... It reads weird.  

Anyways... First, if you want to attend part time law school in NY, you can only go to Fordham and maybe to other lesser schools, like Brooklyn, Cardozo, etc. Columbia and NYU don't have part time programs.  

Second, going to school at night is hard. It pays the bills, the employer pays for the tuition, you get credit towards partership, and get the actual experience, BUT - you give up on 4(!) years of your life, so think hard.  I don't have much time during school year for fun things, get home around 11-12 (assuming some studying after class) & get up at 7-8. Four times a week. Deadlines at work, finals in the school. Not that much fun.  This kind of lifestyle definitely suits older, married people, who, btw, will abound in your evening classes.  Just something to think about.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »