The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 4th, 2020, 9:39am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Questions: M.S., Specialization, In-house
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Questions: M.S., Specialization, In-house  (Read 710 times)
Joe Blo
Questions: M.S., Specialization, In-house
« on: May 18th, 2005, 11:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was hoping to get some insight from current patent attorneys or anyone else who might be able to answer my questions.

My situation is this: I'm currently a rising 2L thinking about a career in patent law. I have a B.S. in Electrical Engineering. While I was an undergrad, I was interested in a particular area called MEMS (micro electrical mechanical systems), also a subdivision of the area more commonly known as nanotechnology. After speaking to some of my engineering professors, they confirmed that this area is the state of the art, and will provide a plethora of opportunities for patent prosecution in the near future. I maintain an interest in MEMS, and my hope is that I will be able to find a career that deals with both this particular branch of engineering in some type of legal framework. Anyway, it all basically comes down to three questions:

Would it be possible for me to be a patent attorney who specializes in a particular area of patents, i.e., MEMS, and deals mainly with that type of work, or do patent attorneys generally deal with a variety of work such that specialization in a particular type patents is not possible?

How much would a M.S. in electrical engineering with focus on MEMS (I was only able to take one MEMS class as an undergrad) help me; both in securing a position that deals primarily with MEMS, and in securing a patent attorney position in general even if specialization is not possible?

How feasible would it be to secure an in-house position with tech company that researches/manufactures MEMS devices without previously working at a firm? And, would such a position be consistent with my career goals, i.e., merging MEMS with law?

Thanks. Any advice would be appreciated.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »