The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2020, 4:36am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Graduate with JD in 1 month with Zero prospects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Graduate with JD in 1 month with Zero prospects  (Read 3306 times)
Patent
Re: Graduate with JD in 1 month with Zero prospect
« Reply #5 on: May 3rd, 2005, 11:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, I wouldn't say you need a PhD to have a prayer, but you will need a prayer without a PHd. Bottomline, the way patents are being written, requires a high level of technical background. If PhDs are writing the patent applications, it will take a pretty EXPERIENCED person, or someone with a PhD to handle those kind of cases. Coming out of a third tier law school with not a very good gpa isn't going to help you. If I were you, I would either go get your phd or think about another field of law. I know a few attorneys who have done it backwards and went to get their phds after their jd's. It's possible. Don't mean to be so harsh, but that's the reality.
IP Logged
cmarriott

« Reply #6 on: May 6th, 2005, 5:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Thanks for the input.
IP Logged
anon
« Reply #7 on: Oct 9th, 2005, 6:16pm »

on May 3rd, 2005, 11:48am, Patent wrote:
Well, I wouldn't say you need a PhD to have a prayer, but you will need a prayer without a PHd. Bottomline, the way patents are being written, requires a high level of technical background. If PhDs are writing the patent applications, it will take a pretty EXPERIENCED person, or someone with a PhD to handle those kind of cases. Coming out of a third tier law school with not a very good gpa isn't going to help you. If I were you, I would either go get your phd or think about another field of law. I know a few attorneys who have done it backwards and went to get their phds after their jd's. It's possible. Don't mean to be so harsh, but that's the reality.

You can get a USPTO job easily with no advanced degree or work experience. I am an examiner and have several coworkers with just a bs in chem
IP Logged
bozo
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 9:51pm »

That's probably why the PTO allows such poor quality patents to get through.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »