The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 5th, 2019, 7:27pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent law prospects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent law prospects  (Read 5331 times)
CP

Re: Patent law prospects
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 5:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well I should have that out of the way by summer. The loyola thing this summer  should be interesting though since I have received alot of interest without having an advanced degree. Only received the notice of the employer interest today after my earlier posts. Odd really.
IP Logged
CP

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:31am »

Was talking to a recruiter today for a Philly firm and she actually said that the prosecution portion may be hard to get into but that I would be a great candidate for patent and general corporate litigation. I could have sworn litigation was the harder field but who knows.
IP Logged
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 12:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would say that a summer position at a law firm is far more important than taking a few extra courses in patent law.

That's just my opinion. You should ask those law firms what they think about that.

A summer job this year will make you that much stronger for next year.  You won't need to worry about the job market at graduation because the firm you worked for in the summer will probably give you a job.

To me, the most valuable thing you can get out of school is the internships, which give you a backdoor into getting a job after graduation.  It's easier to get an internship than a job as a new graduate.  People are a lot less picky about their interns than their full-time employees because interns are only temporary.

The best thing is to find the place you want to work while you are still in school.  Do everything you can to work there part-time or in the summer.  Even if you work for no money.  The experience and contacts are worth their weight in gold at graduation when that place offers you a position.
IP Logged
CP

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 1:28pm »

That would of course be for next summer though since I live in the Philly area where the summer positions just dont exist and I cannot commute to NY or DC as of now. My class for the most part couldnt find summer positions this year. Of course most of us also cannot afford to work for free without starving.
IP Logged
nim
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28th, 2005, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I currently work for an IP firm in Philly.  Frankly, the market here appears to be pretty hot.  My suggestion is to take the patent bar asap to get your foot in the door.   There are jobs here and the market isn't dead.

I would also agree with the above poster that a summer position at a law firm is more important than taking a few extra courses in patent law
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »