The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 5th, 2019, 10:10pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent law prospects
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent law prospects  (Read 5332 times)
CP
Patent law prospects
« on: Apr 21st, 2005, 8:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I am a 1L who came to law school directly from earning degrees in Biology and Sociology. I figure I will end up generally above the 50% mark in my class. I am just wondering what advice any practicing attornet would have in terms of jobs. I intend to take the patent bar this summer so I should be registered before next summer.  

I am wondering what path would be best in terms of salary and benefits. Ive been advised to just try to get a job at a firm and quite frankly the salary figures are amazing to me but then I have others pushing the patent examiner route. Any advice?
IP Logged
Patent_Type

Re: Patent law prospects
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You will most likely have a very difficult time finding a job, although you might get lucky.  The reason for this is that there are a large number of JD's with biology-related PhDs who are also looking for patent jobs.  Unless you are coming from a top 5 school, being in the top 50% will not set you apart when you start applying for jobs.

By the way, what are you planning to do this summer?  Have you already begun talking to law firms in your area?  Any patent law firms?

PT
IP Logged
CP
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:43am »

Thanks for answering. In terms of the summer I am looking at two firms in Philly but the patent track at my school requires summer courses so the most likely result will be class and the patnent bar. Also have a large job fair(Loyola patent job fair) in chicago this summer where I hope to net a job for next summer.
IP Logged
CP

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 12:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well thanks for the information on the degree issue. It fits well  with what I have heard elsewhere. At this point Im going to have to reconsider continuing law school vs going to grad school I guess.
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2005, 12:27pm by CP » IP Logged
pat-bar
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 2:57pm »

I think having the patent bar under your belt will greatly increase the likelihood of landing a job upon graduation.  Employers like such candidates who typically require less training.  Best of luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »