The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 5:46am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?  (Read 62982 times)
JB
Re: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Reply #55 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 8:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Like many of you I am also considering going to law school.  I am an African American female, BSEE, MS Eng Mgt, with 23 years of experience in aerospace engineering.  I did quite well as an EE, although like many have mentioned to excel I chose the Eng Mgt track.  I currently manage a several $M technology development program and plan to retire in 7 years.  So, Im at the crossroads of what to do when I retire and my salary changes to a more modest pension.  I've decided that I don't want to stay in the government because I really can't think of anything else that I want to do; I will also top out in salary soon.  So, I'm ready for something new and have been seriously considering utilizing my experience as a patent lawyer.   I don't mind a small local firm and don't really care about making partner.  Im just looking for interesting work that utilizes my skill mix and pays well.  Do you think patent law is a good choice for me?  Is it worth my time (night school) and money?  I welcome you thoughts.
IP Logged
plex

Re: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Reply #56 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 9:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Unless a firm would start you off at a higher rate, based on your experience, it would likely take you at the very least most or all of those seven years to recover your costs as compared to your likely fairly high income. If you plan on working longer, then it would be a more viable option.

What you may want to consider doing is being a technical adviser at a firm, which would be very possible with your experience, you would have to check and see if the pay is comparable to what you are making now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »