The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 2:13pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?  (Read 62981 times)
plex

Re: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Reply #50 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 6:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Law schools don't give any weight, at all, to what degree you took, no matter how difficult it was, or how insanely easy. However, you can take comfort in knowing IP firms DO care, a lot, they strongly appreciate how certain degrees are more difficult to attain than others, and are really only looking for people with degrees related to the types of patents that are commonly examined at present, which is mostly electrical, some Bio/chem and a little mechanical. IP firms use different metrics from general law firms, relying on "general law student statistics" will throw you off, since only 2-3% of law students can even go into IP law.  

To find out what LSAT you will need with your GPA, check out LSAC's website, and find the accredited school GPA/LSAT calculator. You will be able to plug in your GPA and then various LSAT's to see what you need for the school you want to get into. If it is below 25%, it is very unlikely for that school, and above 60%+ is very likely.

Perhaps, someday, some of the more difficult engineering degrees and pre-med GPAs will be given some weight, but for now, what you see from that calculator is pretty accurate.
IP Logged
SomethingOriginal
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I disagree with plex's statement about how law schools don't give ANY weight to your undergraduate major.  To the extent that law schools crave diversity, they seek to admit engineers and scientists (vs. the history/english/philosophy/econ majors they always get).  In doing so, they are certain to recognize that a 3.8 in EE is far more of an accomplishment than a 3.8 in English.  

I had just under a 3.5 GPA but still got accepted (and matriculated) to a top 5 school.  (I did, however, show improved grades over the last couple of years in undergrad--which, I'm told, helps you out.)  Despite a great LSAT score, I can't see how my school accepted me without giving special preference to my EE degree.

I definitely recommend going to the best school you can.  It makes getting a job + paying off loans far easier.  (One the other hand, if you have no intention of going into academics or working at a big firm making big bucks, it probably doesn't matter....)

In addition to the LSAC GPA/LSAT calculator, check out lawschoolnumbers*DOT*com  

IP Logged
plex

« Reply #52 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 4:20pm »

I did get into a school I wasn't expecting too, it was the best school I applied to, much higher requirements than the other schools, that denied me. So, in that one schools case, I am willing to retract my statement. The other six schools were a great example of schools that don't look beyond computing your GPA/LSAT into a number and then deciding yes/no from it, I was not amused by the way the whole process worked out.

I can't even describe to you the gulf in difference in rankings between the two schools I got accepted too, its just embarrassing, both for me and the system  Undecided.

Checked out the rankings on that website, somewhat close, but I would check out lsac's abet accredited gpa/lsat calculator as well. The numbers are pretty off in the other site if they don't have a lot of entries (look at Cooley for example, you should be able to tell from that its pretty inaccurate sometimes with only 50 entries, way too high)
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 4:40pm by plex » IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #53 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 6th, 2007, 5:49pm, ND_EE wrote:
Hi all.

I never really considered Patent Law until the beginning of this year. I am currently an EE major at the U. of Notre Dame. My current GPA is a 3.2...  What would it take (LSATs, etc) for me to get into a 2nd Tier Law School with my GPA? Do Law schools take the school you attended in undergrad into consideration?

Hey ND_EE

I am an EE as well, currently in my first year of law school at a tier 2.  To get into a tier 2 school, you probably need at least a 160 and up (with your GPA, which is good for engineering i might add).  From my experience in applying, I do not think schools in general consider your undergraduate major/institution when making their decision (unless you went to Harvard). I went to a top 5 engineering undergrad, but was suprisingly rejected from most "upper tier 2, lower tier 1" kinds of schools.  I was lucky I think to get into my law school, a higher tier 2.  I think they accepted me because the school has a strong IP focus to begin with.  So, I guess the lesson is kick ass on the LSAT, there is a big difference between a 160 and a 161.  Every point you can add to that stupid test will open up more schools to you.  If you want to get into notre dame, you probably need a 165 or higher.  Keep in mind that on the LSAT, the difference between a 160 and a 165 is getting like 7-8 more questions right out of 101.  

IP Logged
plex

« Reply #54 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 6:22am »

Yes, from what I can see, the one way you are going to get extra points at a school beyond GPA/LSAT and you are an EE, it is going to be a school really pushing their IP program, if you see that IP is their highest ranked program, that would probably be a good indication. I would imagine other degrees would have much less of a chance at getting consideration, the schools tend to give some points if they really want to improve their IP program to students they know will be marketable coming out of school in IP.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »