The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 29th, 2020, 11:59am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  12 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?  (Read 63121 times)
mortikhi
Re: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 1st, 2005, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 17th, 2005, 3:41am, Jurjen wrote:
Hi,

Check out this page:
http://www.payscale.com/salary-survey/vid-19197/fid-6886

Cheers

Jurjen

I went to this site and it's not worth spit.  

The salary it said I should make came in at almost 1/2 of what I make and I'm around the low end of the payscale.

It said patent lawyers around 80-150k/year.  Im in that ballpark and have a BSCS doing web development.
IP Logged
Double Patent
« Reply #6 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:03am »

That is quite insightful.  A BSCS, qualified with a job, gets you good money, reasonable hours (compared to law), less yelling and emotional and mental stress (compared to law), and often better pay.  Actually lawyers look up to people with your technical ability: you should be proud.  

Indeed, how much intelligence does it take to use a law library?  OK, that characterization might not be technically correct.  But reading code and writing algorithms at least seems more mysterious and skilled than parsing a case or a statute and writing a legal memo to the court, and it is respected.

Plus that thing about writing.  You must love to write, and fast, very fast.  Sometimes like dictation.  As a young lawyer I know litigation is like that, I assume patent prosecution is like that too.  And there is no gcc or lint to check it.

You could look into doing IT for a big law firm, instead of considering patent law if you are.  One big firm actually writes stuff in VB, others use large document management systems.  There is one called Summation that the DOJ used for the Microsoft case.  Personally I've been trying to do just that myself but have been unlucky so far, but I love being in a mathematical and scientific environment so I will try again.  Is the patent bar for you? for me? I don't know.

I guess my point is that the law field is as hard as the current state of IT, even if you don't buy -- and I don't -- Intel's Grove or Larry Summers' opinion of a brain drain.  I don't think that analysis is fair otherwise they would be hiring.  But then again fairness is why I went into law, and that is not unrealizable.
IP Logged
IPDB
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11th, 2005, 6:41pm »

Be pleased you are holding onto that web development job making so much money with only a BSCS.   I have a BS Engineering Science, MS Biomedical Engineering with thesis and certificate in management from Wharton, have recently been downsized and can't find comparable pay in an IT job.   The market's too tight.   Maybe it's a matter of time but just how long?   It really makes me wonder if there is perceived value in experience and education anymore.
IP Logged
Victor
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:54pm »

Does anyone whose currently a patent lawyer have any comments regarding the $80-$150k salary range for an entry level patent lawyer quoted from payscale.com?

If this is true, why would any engineer want to become a patent lawyer?  I have a mere 5 years experience in EE and I'm easily in this range...
Have considered becoming a patent lawyer, with this information, I'm rather discouraged.  By the time I apply, finish law school, pass the bar and patent bar, I would be beyond $150k with my current job!  Not to mention all the debt I'd be in and the difficulty in finding an entry level patent attorney position.  (Job market doesn't seem too hot from the blogs...)

Someone tell me this isn't true...
IP Logged
Bill
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24th, 2005, 6:10pm »

That salary range takes into consideration both corporations and law firms.  Law firms in large markets are starting at around $125K and corporations are around $100K.  That’s for EE.

Why would an engineer want to become a patent lawyer?  Substantial money can be made after working several years in a law firm, particularly if involved with litigation.  Also, I believe the patent law profession is more stable than that of the engineering/science professions.

However, you said something that I would like to comment on.  You said the patent job market doesn’t seem too hot.  I agree with that statement, although it seems to be picking up in the EE area somewhat.  So unless a person is desperate, I don’t know why that person would want to get into the patent field.  Since preparing patent applications and obtaining patents is directly dependent on the technology industry, it too is suffering.  

Maybe with the trend of obtaining patents or using existing patent to generate revenue (i.e. litigate) there is an increased need for patent litigators.  

Good questions…
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  12 Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »