The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 7:04am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?  (Read 62983 times)
Isaac

Re: Career Change from EE to Patent Lawyer?
« Reply #45 on: Feb 24th, 2007, 9:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 23rd, 2007, 9:13am, Matthew wrote:
The general advice is that law school is only worth taking out loans for if you get into a tier 1 school (top 50) and really want to be a lawyer. If you want to be a big firm lawyer, go to the highest ranked tier 1 you get into. A full ride to a tier-2 may be worth considering. Don't bother with tier 3 and lower.

I've heard this advice before, and while I think there is some value to it, the advice really overstates things.   In particular, I think the trashing of lower ranked schools is unwarranted and off base.   Some tier 3-4 schools are older, well established law schools that offer first rate educations and whose primary failing is not being very exclusive in who they admit.  Others tier 3 and 4 schools of course are just plain lousy.

I'd certainly recommend going to a top 14 or top 20 school if possible, and I wouldn't recommend taking on 150K in debt to go to a bad school, but the idea that tier 4 grads will be stuck doing personal injury law sounds like scuttlebutt best left on JDJive.

IP Logged

Isaac
plex

« Reply #46 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 12:10am »

Double post from another thread, weird  Shocked
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2007, 3:54pm by plex » IP Logged
Matthew
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 9:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Feb 24th, 2007, 9:04pm, Isaac wrote:

I've heard this advice before, and while I think there is some value to it, the advice really overstates things.   In particular, I think the trashing of lower ranked schools is unwarranted and off base.   Some tier 3-4 schools are older, well established law schools that offer first rate educations and whose primary failing is not being very exclusive in who they admit.  Others tier 3 and 4 schools of course are just plain lousy.

I'd certainly recommend going to a top 14 or top 20 school if possible, and I wouldn't recommend taking on 150K in debt to go to a bad school, but the idea that tier 4 grads will be stuck doing personal injury law sounds like scuttlebutt best left on JDJive.

As someone who has spent the past 18 months researching law schools and legal education, I can say emphatically and without a doubt that going to a tier-4 schools is a horrible idea for 99% of most law school applicants. The only people that could possibly benefit from these schools are those that are doing the degree as part of career enhancement, have considerable work experience already, and are getting the degree paid for in some way. The only others who could benefit are those who have significant family connections and will have a great job lined up no matter where they go, just as long as they pass the bar.

With that said, you are right, there are a small handful of tier 3/4 schools that are well respected locally and provide a solid education (evidenced by high bar pass rates). I won't name these.

Do not go in debt for anything below tier2 is the correct advice. Spend that money on LSAT prep instead.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #48 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:01pm »

/shrug, I have gotten interviews for almost all of the firms I applied to in my area, and I am not even a 1L yet, but they knew I would not be going into anything better than a 3tier or 4tier, at least until I get into law school and show what the heck was keeping up my GPA when I was barely passing some of my engineering courses.

I will make a caveat that I do have a EE degree, with a decent GPA  from a very good school and 3 years of experience I picked up while in school. Obviously, I didn't do well on the LSAT, despite taking classes for it, I don't see my prospects shrinking much. I have no connections either, though I am fairly good at making connections, since my undergrad school will kick you out if you do not get a certain amount of work experience before graduating, you have to learn to network there, if not with businesses, at least with the schools career services.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:29pm by plex » IP Logged
ND_EE

« Reply #49 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 5:49pm »

Hi all.

I never really considered Patent Law until the beginning of this year. I am currently an EE major at the U. of Notre Dame. My current GPA is a 3.2...  What would it take (LSATs, etc) for me to get into a 2nd Tier Law School with my GPA? Do Law schools take the school you attended in undergrad into consideration?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »