The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 4th, 2020, 8:23am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent work in Corp. v. Firm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent work in Corp. v. Firm  (Read 1294 times)
Lou
Patent work in Corp. v. Firm
« on: Apr 6th, 2005, 2:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm a former examiner/patent agent ready to graduate law school. Can anyone advise on the difference in life/work balance in a firm v. corporation?

I'm definitely sticking with Patent related work.

Thanks!
IP Logged
Re: Patent work in Corp. v. Firm
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:06pm »

I also am in a similar situation.   Figured I would bring back the subject rather than starting a new topic again.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 7:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've worked for a large GP firm doing patent prep, pros, and litigation.  I've also worked in-house for a large research lab doing prep, pros, and client counseling.  I'm now a solo.  Go figure!
Unfortunately, there's as much difference among firms and among companies as between the two.  In general, however, my observations are these (individual experiences may vary):
Law firms can be much faster-paced.  Billable hours, the pressure to make partner, the sometimes fierce competition, make for an environment in which some thrive and others find stressful.  Pay can be very good and bonuses just add to it.  Depending upon the firm, there will be opportunities to try many different aspects of the practice.  For example, appeals, interferences, and litigation.
Companies can be more stable, offer better benefits, but at generally lower pay.  There may, however, be bonuses, 401k participation, vacation, and stock options.  Opposed to firm work, you will probably not have the broad exposure to different aspects of the practice.  Certainly interferences and litigation will be handled by outside counsel.  Appeals may or may not be handled by OC.
I think it comes down to a personality issue along with what I call a "time-of-life" issue.  If you're young and aggressive and don't yet have a family and like a fast-paced life, try a firm.  But, make sure you find one that fits your personality.  As I said, not all firms (or companies) are the same.  They all have unique personalities and cultures.
If you're older, married, and have growing children with whom you want to spend time, and you want the stability of a more 9-5 job, try in-house.  One that fits your personality, of course.
Good luck!
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
VIMAL KISHOR
« Reply #3 on: Sep 4th, 2006, 10:49pm »

It may be the stretigic move for other than Lawyers/Patent agents, but for them it is very smooth switchover and can be practised as and when desired.

Here one's personality and knowledge brings the fruits in one's career.

However as far as competition and pace is concerned, opting for the firm  is always a prudent.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »