The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2019, 1:19am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career path from Patent Examiner to Attorney
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career path from Patent Examiner to Attorney  (Read 1444 times)
David
Career path from Patent Examiner to Attorney
« on: Mar 26th, 2005, 6:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How helpful is being a patent examiner to one's employment prospects and career as a patent attorney? I am considering working at the USPTO and taking classes in the evening. Would someone lacking job experience in this field be better served by studying for the LSAT in preparation for law school full-time as opposed to taking a position at the USPTO, studying for the Patent Bar, and limiting my options to law schools in D.C. with evening classes?  

Thanks,  

David
IP Logged
Re: Career path from Patent Examiner to Attorney
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2005, 3:40pm »

While working as patent examiners at the PTO in 1986, five of us bought all of the available LSAT review books and traded them off, studying for about 2 months. We all scored above 95% of all LSAT takers. I think they have since taken alot of the math off the LSAT test, to the detriment of technical grads. I would recommend working at the PTO for about 2 years while attending one of the IP speciality tracks at the DC area law schools. For the third year, I would hop to a DC area law firm.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2005, 8:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There wasn't anything I'd consider math on the LSAT I took in
the late 90s.
IP Logged

Isaac
MujaStar
« Reply #3 on: May 19th, 2005, 1:36pm »

I agree with Guest.  Not to mention that every law school in the DC area has an evening program (GW is #3 for IP) except for Howard and UDC (not top 2 tiers anyway).  So the second option would not be such limiting exerience.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »