The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2019, 1:18am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   PhD in Electrical Engg. & wanna be a patent ag
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PhD in Electrical Engg. & wanna be a patent ag  (Read 3322 times)
PhD in Electrical Engg. & wanna be a patent ag
« on: Mar 24th, 2005, 12:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,
I am doing my PhD in Electrical Engg and have no background in law; I plan to graduate soon. Can someone please help me decide whether being a patent agent is a good option for me. I have the following questions:

1. I understand that PhD in biotech sector helps a lot; what about a PhD in Elecrical Engg? Does it help or is it a burden in becoming a patent agent?

2. I have absolutely no background in law, though my goal is to eventually pass the patent bar exam and get a law degree. Is it ok to go ahead and apply for jobs without any law experience?

3. I am an international student, and would require a job visa to work in US. Also, I am pretty good in written english, but my spoken english is not as good as a native english speaker (though, in absolute terms, it is good). Would these be an issue?

Thanks in advance; it would be really helpful if someone can guide me.
IP Logged
Access Patent Group, LLC.
Re: PhD in Electrical Engg. & wanna be a paten
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2005, 2:16pm »

hi!  

Yes. Get to pass the exam first.  It will help you to land a job in patent law.  

sincerely,  

Thien Tran  
MSEE - Registered Patent Agent #47,351  
http://www.accesspatentgroup.com
IP Logged
LJP

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm pretty sure you need to be a citizen to write the agent exam.  

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 11:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Non-citizens can take the patent bar exam. They just have to be legal residents and provide the necessary documentation to the Office of Enrollment and Discipline.

Foreign attorneys can also take the exam but can only represent clients in their foreign country for their U.S. applications.

From the general requirements bulletin:
§ 11.6 Registration of attorneys and agents.
(a) Attorneys. Any citizen of the United States who is an attorney and who fulfills the
requirements of this Part may be registered as a patent attorney to practice before the Office.
When appropriate, any alien who is an attorney, who lawfully resides in the United States, and
who fulfills the requirements of this Part may be registered as a patent attorney to practice
before the Office, provided that such registration is not inconsistent with the terms upon which
the alien was admitted to, and resides in, the United States and further provided that the alien
may remain registered only: (1) If the alien continues to lawfully reside in the United States
and registration does not become inconsistent with the terms upon which the alien continues
to lawfully reside in the United States, or (2) If the alien ceases to reside in the United States,
the alien is qualified to be registered under paragraph (c) of this section. See also § 11.9(b).

(b) Agents. Any citizen of the United States who is not an attorney, and who fulfills the
requirements of this Part may be registered as a patent agent to practice before the Office.
When appropriate, any alien who is not an attorney, who lawfully resides in the United States,
and who fulfills the requirements of this Part may be registered as a patent agent to practice
before the Office, provided that such registration is not inconsistent with the terms upon which
the alien was admitted to, and resides in, the United States, and further provided that the alien
may remain registered only: (1) If the alien continues to lawfully reside in the United States
and registration does not become inconsistent with the terms upon which the alien continues
to lawfully reside in the United States or (2) If the alien ceases to reside in the United States,
the alien is qualified to be registered under paragraph (c) of this section. See also § 11.9(b).

(c) Foreigners. Any foreigner not a resident of the United States who shall file proof to the
satisfaction of the OED Director that he or she is registered and in good standing before the
patent office of the country in which he or she resides and practices, and who is possessed of
the qualifications stated in § 11.7, may be registered as a patent agent to practice before the
Office for the limited purpose of presenting and prosecuting patent applications of applicants
located in such country, provided that the patent office of such country allows substantially
reciprocal privileges to those admitted to practice before the Office. Registration as a patent
agent under this paragraph shall continue only during the period that the conditions specified
in this paragraph obtain…
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2005, 12:00pm by Jonathan » IP Logged
Sid
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29th, 2005, 4:07pm »

Paragraph C states that foreigners from countries that allow reciprocity will be allowed to practise before the USPTO.

According to my knowledge Canada is the only country that allows reciprocity. Therefore Canadians are the only foregners who can become Patent Agents. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »