The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2020, 4:12am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Career outlook for Patent lawyer with MS EE
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Career outlook for Patent lawyer with MS EE  (Read 9629 times)
Gloria

Career outlook for Patent lawyer with MS EE
« on: Jan 25th, 2005, 3:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have MS. in EE from one of the top ten engineering school and have worked in the industrial for 5.5 years. Recently the idea of becoming a patent lawyer have striked me and I want to get some advise as to what kind of career outlook would it be with my background before I plunge into anything.  

1. How satisfying it is to practice patent law? How many hours everyday one needs to work typically?

2. How is the career outlook would it be given my background? How much difference would it make if I attend a top tier law school or a lower tier one?

3. I have foreign origin (thus English is my second language). Would it be a hinder in terms of job outlook or performance wise? Are there opportunity gearing toward Asia/China business in terms of patent law?  

4. I am in my early 30s, would it still make sense investment wise to get a law degree?

Thanks very much in advance for your reply,

Gloria
IP Logged
kc
Re: Career outlook for Patent lawyer with MS EE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Gloria,

I am also seeking patent agent to patent attorney work and have a MSEE degree.  I have been accepted into Fordham's evening program.  However, I live in Colorado so I am seeking work in NYC before moving out there.  I have a short period in which to find work.

Right now the only advice I can give you is that the LSAT rules all.  It will determine how good of a school you get into.... other than UGPA.

If you are willing to do patent work without considering what law schools you get into then I would go ahead and take the patent bar exam.  I am in the middle of studying for the exam myself.  It is very tedious.  I will probably end up forking over money for a class so I can focus more time on seeking work.

The sense I get is that law firms will look at your resume and will consider hiring you... but it seems difficult to get beyond that.  I also get the feeling it helps to have been accepted into a local law school program.  

IP Logged
kc
Re: Career outlook for Patent lawyer with MS EE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 11:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

One more thing...

I believe that it makes sense to 'invest' in patent law because all the reliable data seems to point to the following:

1) salary is up to double after getting JD
2) Your career is as long as your life rather than winding down in your 50s as an engineer
3) Less likely (yes I read the post on outsourcing) to be ousourced in the future and rendered technically irrelevant.
4) You can always do taxes on the side for extra money

KC
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »