The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 1st, 2020, 5:33am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Mechanical Demand (Masters, Chicago)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mechanical Demand (Masters, Chicago)  (Read 1311 times)
MikeOtt
Mechanical Demand (Masters, Chicago)
« on: Sep 25th, 2004, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi,

I will soon have a Masters in Mechanical Engineering and 5 years work experience in medical device R&D (infusion pumps / IV sets).  I recently enjoyed an intro IP law class and I love writing.  In Fall 2006, I would like to start a JD  (part-time if necessary) at Chicago Kent, DePaul or John Marshall.  I am located in Chicago but can probably relocate (especially MI or upstate NY) after graduation.

Can anyone speculate on the demand (mostly right now, but also in 5 years, in 30 years?!) for Mechanical patent attorneys?  I hear they consistently experience lower demand (though okay in big cities) than EE / Bios?  From the job postings on this site (as of 5/04), I see ~1,000 patent jobs with percentage listing Mechanical (10%), Electrical (26%), Bio (28%), and Chem (30%).  

Ive also heard that Mechanicals are steered from patent prosecution into litigation since their patents are seen as more intuitive (visual) and thus able to be drafted by any patent discipline.  

Will the Masters degree and work experience help much with schools / firms?  Also, any miscellaneous guidance on these schools which are Tier 2 / 3 schools but offer a good number of IP classes?  

Thanks in advance for any advice.  This forum is great!

Mike
IP Logged
psu_mecheng_PTO

Email

Re: Mechanical Demand (Masters, Chicago)
« Reply #1 on: May 20th, 2005, 1:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,  

Although I have no answers, I am very interested in this thread.  I am a recent PSU graduate with a BSME.  I accepted an offer from the PTO as a patent examiner and will (hopefully) be attending law school PT next fall.  I wasn't really aware of the demand differential bt the EE and Biotech people and us.  Very interesting, but obvious in retrospect.
IP Logged
psu_mecheng_PTO

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 20th, 2005, 1:39am »

I've heard from patent attorney's I've interfaced with that it is irrelevant what IP coursework a school offers.  The fact of the matter is you only have a few elective spots in your program, and you are invariably forced to take certain fundamental courses in order to pass the bar.  Schools that are considered as "top IP programs" typically offer an advanced degree in IP law, analogous to a master's.  Schools such as GWU and Berkeley offer these advanced degrees.
IP Logged
daven

some law schools have IP tracks
« Reply #3 on: May 20th, 2005, 6:23pm »

George Mason is one example.  Take a look:

http://www.law.gmu.edu/academics/iptrack.html

Have you looked at the starting salary stats of the law schools you listed?  In my opinion, it's not worth going so deep into debt if the average starting salary of the law school isn't higher than your current engineering salary.

I'm also mechanical.  I figure if I ever went to law school I wouldn't focus too much on IP.  Having the wrong attitude, you may not try as hard in non-IP classes, thinking, "I don't need to know that for IP anyway".  The next thing you know.. you're interests have changed by the time you graduate!  I would have an open mind and study for every class like it was the area I may end up working in.

Here's two other links to take a look at:

http://www.law.gwu.edu/cdo/employmentreport00.asp

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/median.php/1/desc/MSPrivate

The only downside to this forum is that everyone likes to view but very few people actually replySad

IP Logged
« Reply #4 on: May 20th, 2005, 6:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I reply quite often actually - i should probably create an account and quit appearing as "guest"!  Grin

I agree that going deep into debt is not a very good option, but what if your current career isn't very rewarding? Or maybe it doesn't have the job security or you have hit a ceiling in terms of advancement? From a financial standpoint i completely understand your point of view, but there are more than finances that drive decisions sometimes.  

On your other point, focusing too much on IP in law school, i completely agree. In fact, although i'm studying for my Patent Exam and intend to work part-time during law school in IP, i'm not going to make up my mind on the type of law i intend to practice until I'm really sure. Maybe i'll find something more interesting during school - who knows - stranger things have happened!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »