The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 14th, 2020, 6:27am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   NYC market for CS patent attorney?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NYC market for CS patent attorney?  (Read 1231 times)
N/A
NYC market for CS patent attorney?
« on: Mar 11th, 2004, 1:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a first year student at Benjamin N. Cardozo Law school in New York City.  I have an undergraduate degree in computer science (B.S.).  

How difficult do you think it will be to find a job?
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: NYC market for CS patent attorney?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2004, 3:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I dunno.  You won't be graduating for a couple of years and things change.  Hopefully the market will be less difficult for entry level patent attorneys in a couple years.  

I have one piece of advice for CS majors.  I'd recommend checking to see whether you meet the academic requirements  to take the patent bar.  

A lot of CS programs even at top schools are unacredited.    The USPTO requires students of unaccredited CS programs to prove to have 40 hours of hard science/engineering work on their transcript including an 8 hour physics or chemistry sequence with labs.   It is very common that CS majors  have insufficient course work on their transcript.  

If your CS program is accredited (there is a link to a list of  accredited programs on the USPTO web site) then you don't have to worry about the course work requirements.

IP Logged

Isaac
N/A
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2004, 3:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am aware that my school is not accredited.  However, I believe that my undergraduate coursework is sufficient to meet the USPTO equivilency standards.  Evidently, the only way to find out is to apply.  If anyone knows of any other ways to find out, i would appreciate the input.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2004, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't think you can get an official answer without applying.  

But applying for and taking the test while in law school seems like a good idea.   If the PTO is offering the test as often as proposed, it will be feasible to study for the exam during the summer and to take the bar exam some weekend when it won't interfere with your law school studies.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »