The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 29th, 2020, 7:44am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Beginning private practice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beginning private practice  (Read 3205 times)
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Beginning private practice
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think Marcus gave good advice.  I only wish to augment one point he made:

on Mar 15th, 2004, 9:18am, marcus bates wrote:
Do not purchase insurance-just wear a white hat and treat everyone absolutely honest. This is what assures you are Never  involved in a serious contraversy, and this is what makes insurance un-necessary.

For the record, I went for years without insurance on this belief.  However, you should be aware that "serious contraversy" is as easy as missing a deadline in an irrecoverable manner.  Missing filing deadlines (local and foreign) come to mind as an example.  Most other things are fixable for a fee.

Feel free to go without insurance, but you should be fully aware of the risks in doing so.

One last tidbit re insurance:  I've heard the statistic that as many as 70% of all claims of malpractice are in defense of suits for unpaid legal fees.  Want to avoid malpractice?  Don't sue your non-paying clients.  Like Marcus said, choose your clients carefully.  I would add: don't sue the bad ones.  Let them go and trust that their kharma will catch up with them in good time.

One attorney I spoke with a while back had his own solution to this problem.  He sent a letter terminating the relationship, then waited for the statute of limitations to run on malpractice claims (one year, I believe).  Then he would send his invoices to a collection agency.  I'm not sure this is an effective approach, however.  Malpractice issues can come up much later than the attorney's relationship with the client (e.g., during litigation) and the statute of limitations begins to run as soon as the client knows there's a problem.  Interesting technique, though.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Isaac

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 11:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 28th, 2004, 4:25pm, thought001 wrote:

I plan to advertise in various relevant venues to the field and perhaps even send advertisements to prospective clients.

When sending out writting correspondence to prospective clients, be aware of the rules on solicitation (37 CFR 10.32-33).  They should not interfere with a generic advertising brochure sent out in a general mailing.  

IP Logged

Isaac
Denise
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 12:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello,

My name is Denise and I am a new attorney in Chicago.  I just took the patent bar yesterday (July 15th; I believe that I passed).  Anyhow, unable to land a position, I have started my own practice.  Can some of the IP attorneys give me advice as to the best way to gain IP experience including writing patents.  Below is a summary of my background.

-B.S. in Computer Engineering
-ETA KAPPA NU (Computer and EE honor society)
-worked as a software eng at Motorola for 1 yr and 7 mos.
-Graduated from Chicago-Kent with a certificate in IP
-clerking exp:
 -Software Company (contracts; summer pos)
 -IP boutique (all areas of IP; semester externship)
 -solo law office (entertainment attorney; semester internship)
-Licensed to practice in IL

Thanks in advance.

Denise
IP Logged
Denise
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16th, 2005, 12:15pm »

Hello,

My name is Denise and I am a new attorney in Chicago.  I just took the patent bar yesterday (July 15th; I believe that I passed).  Anyhow, unable to land a position, I have started my own practice.  Can some of the IP attorneys give me advice as to the best way to gain IP experience including writing patents.  Below is a summary of my background.

-B.S. in Computer Engineering
-ETA KAPPA NU (Computer and EE honor society)
-worked as a software eng at Motorola for 1 yr and 7 mos.
-Graduated from law school with a certificate in IP
-clerking exp:
 -Software Company (contracts; summer pos)
 -IP boutique (all areas of IP; semester externship)
 -solo law office (entertainment attorney; semester internship)
-Licensed to practice in IL

Thanks in advance.

Denise
IP Logged
MotGuy
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2005, 2:34pm »

Hi Denise.

I have a similar background as you.  I have been working for Motorola in the Chicago area for a numer of years. I am considering pursuing education in patent
law.  Given my technical background and affinity for the law profession, I thought that patent law is right for me.

I would like to hear more about your experience as patent attorney as well as the experience of a law student.  Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »