The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 4th, 2020, 9:26am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   to PhD or not to PhD
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: to PhD or not to PhD  (Read 1523 times)
pwatt

to PhD or not to PhD
« on: Apr 25th, 2004, 5:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a newly registered patent attorney with a BS in biology, and have been having a difficult time finding a patent attorney position.I am thinking about getting a PhD in order to increase my marketability.   What are your opinions on this course of action?
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2004, 5:37pm by pwatt » IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re:  to PhD or not to PhD
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 9:24am »

Dear Pwatt,

I'll give the same advice I usually do.  Try to find someone who does what you want to do (biology patent law) and ask them.  I understand even BS degrees can find life science work, but it's harder.  If you have a really stellar law degree (honors at a top school), you might overcome the BS degree.  

Like I've said a number of times, life sciences is a specialty all its own.  You really have to speak to someone familiar with that specialty.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Lisa

Re:  to PhD or not to PhD
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 10:35am »

Hello,

I have a slightly different twist on the topic.  

What is the market like for PhDs (Organic Chemistry / Synthesis) with experience who have passed the agents exam but have not started law school. I do not see many agents positions opened.  

It would be nice to get a little taste of IP law as agent before diving into law school.

Thanks,
Lisa
IP Logged
perry
Re: to PhD or not to PhD
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2004, 11:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think your job prospects are pretty good.   It may not be a bad idea to send off a resume to the USPTO, as they are currently hiring(www.uspto.gov or www.usajobs.opm.gov).  Being an examiner will allow you to forgo the exam, and give you valuable experience.  Former examiners appear to be very marketable.  Plus, you can work at the PTO during the day and take night classes for law school, as there are many law schools within commuting distance of the PTO.

In addition, it appears that many drug companies are moving toward small molecules, because their biological treatments are having difficulties.  These difficulties include FDA approval and/or unexpected reactions.  And, as development progresses, they will need people like you.    

The reason why you may not be seeing many positions is that it appears that prosecution is down.  I get the impression that because of the current economic situation as well as global instability, companies are reluctant to file/prosecute applications, as they can be very expenseive.    

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »