Intellectual Property Forums (http://www.intelproplaw.com/Forum/Forum.cgi)

(Message started by: Gauge on Aug 20th, 2006, 9:42pm)

Title: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by Gauge on Aug 20th, 2006, 9:42pm
I noticed that under C.F.R. 1.21 it says $10 for a certificate of good standing as an agent or attorney and $20 for a certificate suitable for framing.  Do you get one of these standard with your initial registration?  If so, do you get the regular or the framable one?  Anyone ever paid for the framable one?

Also, do you get any kind of ID card with your registration number on it or basically just a piece of paper telling you what your number is?

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by Wolfcastle on Aug 21st, 2006, 9:11am
With your registration, you get a framable certificate with your patent registration number on it. Unfortunately, you don't get an ID card. Sigh, it would have been cool to pull the card out of my wallet and say "Back off man, I'm a patent agent."

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by Isaac on Aug 21st, 2006, 9:16am

on 08/21/06 at 09:11:14, Wolfcastle wrote:
With your registration, you get a framable certificate with your patent registration number on it. Unfortunately, you don't get an ID card. Sigh, it would have been cool to pull the card out of my wallet and say "Back off man, I'm a patent agent."


No reason that you couldn't make your own.  

But I'm having difficulty compiling a list of people who would back off when being shown the card.   Drawing a blank...

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by HarrisonBergeron on Aug 21st, 2006, 2:42pm

on 08/21/06 at 09:16:49, Isaac wrote:
No reason that you couldn't make your own.

But I'm having difficulty compiling a list of people who would back off when being shown the card. Drawing a blank...

Women back off all the time when I do that. But they back off even when I don't do that. >:(

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by Gauge on Aug 21st, 2006, 11:51pm
Yep.  I would love to be able to flash the card.  Guess I am not so lucky. ;D

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by smgsmc on Aug 31st, 2006, 2:20pm

on 08/21/06 at 09:11:14, Wolfcastle wrote:
With your registration, you get a framable certificate with your patent registration number on it. Unfortunately, you don't get an ID card. Sigh, it would have been cool to pull the card out of my wallet and say "Back off man, I'm a patent agent."


It's not clear to me what your response means.  The $10 will get you the fancy one?  If so, what does $20 get you?

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by Isaac on Aug 31st, 2006, 2:31pm

on 08/31/06 at 14:20:19, smgsmc wrote:
It's not clear to me what your response means. The $10 will get you the fancy one? If so, what does $20 get you?


For $0 you get a framable certificate commemorating your initial registration.

For $10 you can get a rather ordinary looking certificate of good standing that is useful for showing your current status for whatever administrative/legal purpose you might have.

For $20 you can get a frameable certificate of good standing.    Unless it looks better than the free thing you get (and nobody seems to be saying)  I'm not sure why you'd want this if you have the free thingy.

Title: Re: Certificate of Good Standing
Post by smgsmc on Aug 31st, 2006, 4:54pm

on 08/31/06 at 14:31:21, Isaac wrote:
For $0 you get a framable certificate commemorating your initial registration.

For $10 you can get a rather ordinary looking certificate of good standing that is useful for showing your current status for whatever administrative/legal purpose you might have.

For $20 you can get a frameable certificate of good standing. Unless it looks better than the free thing you get (and nobody seems to be saying) I'm not sure why you'd want this if you have the free thingy.



Thanks for the clarification, Isaac.   In the past, whenever I got a fancy certificate for whatever reason, I'd give it to my young daughter to play with.  In this field, I shouldn't be so cavalier, I guess, since clients may require fancy credentials on the wall.   As for your $20 question, I have one answer.  One of my previous bosses had his office walls literally plastered with certificates.  Most of them were for in-house training classes; you know, the ones that say "Congratulations.  You have successfully completed the corporate quality improvement program."  Since you print them out yourself, you can make them as pretty as you like.  He was always carping about how he had been "cheated" out of a PhD early in his career.  This was his way of compensating, I guess.



Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.2!
Forum software copyright 2000-2004 Yet another Bulletin Board