The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 14th, 2019, 10:15am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Bar exam registration
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Bar exam registration  (Read 1655 times)
ctup

Patent Bar exam registration
« on: Dec 18th, 2007, 11:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have the pleasure of attempting to convince the USPTO to accept the coursework from my Computer Science degree program.  Aside from the program not being accredited by ABET, I have a problem with the chemistry/physics component.  I have 9 hours of chemistry credit (4, 3 lecture, 1, 1 lab), however, the two labs were credited to my first semester.  One of the labs is a safety, intro to chemistry lab and the other accompanied the first course.  The school I took these courses at is primarily an engineering school and this is the sequence of chemistry that all engineering students must take.  I started as an engineering student for the first three semesters, then changed to the computer science program, which is not ABET accredited.  I know the requirement states that you need 8 hours chemistry in two consecutive semesters each with a lab, but I am hoping that my situation will be acceptable.

I am going to apply to sit for the patent bar exam to see if this goes through, but was wondering what happens if I do not take the test in the time period that they allocate for me to do so?  Do I have to re-apply to take the exam, is there a possibility that if my coursework was approved initially that the second application could be denied?  I ask because I am considering retaking the LSAT and don't really want to be studying for both the patent bar and LSAT at the same time, but I also want to know as soon as possible if I will be able to take the patent bar exam with my current coursework.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2007, 11:03pm by ctup » IP Logged
smgsmc

Re: Patent Bar exam registration
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:19am »

You can't register for the exam until OED issues you an exam registration number.  I would guess that they won't issue you that number until all your qualifications have been approved.  Once you are approved you have a 90 day window (exact date given in the exam registration letter) in which to take it. If you miss it , you need to reapply and fork over the $$ again.
IP Logged
ctup

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 12:24pm »

Ok, so I will have to reapply.  Thanks.

Given my questionable coursework, if I am approved once, is the reapplication just a matter of sending in the application fee (guaranteed approval to sit for the exam for the second application) or will my coursework undergo another examination, where my application may be rejected even though I was approved earlier.

My main concern is being approved once, studying for the exam, reapplying, and then being rejected to sit for the exam.
IP Logged
smgsmc

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:49pm »

If you reapply within a yr you don't need to resubmit previous documents...just a new application, and the $$.  I believe there's a box on the application asking you whether you've previously applied.
IP Logged
ctupp
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 8:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »