The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 6:15am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   foreign degree equivalency
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: foreign degree equivalency  (Read 708 times)
Robert Brady
foreign degree equivalency
« on: Jul 10th, 2007, 2:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a fordham law graduate that wants to get into patent law but I lack a technical degree.

My question is: Would a degree in Applied Physics from the University of San Carlos in the Philippines meet the requirement to sit for the patent exam? Also, for getting into a doctorate program in the U.S. how would a degree from San Carlos hurt my chances in comparison to a degree from Rutgers of NJIT??

Alternatively, I would possibly get a degree from Ireland or the U.K. The reason is I am tired of living in New Jersey and would enjoy living somewhere else while I got my technical degree.

Is there a way I could find out which degrees from which universities would be acceptable to sit for the patent exam before applying? If this company, World Education Services (link not included due to restrictions) says the degree is equivalent to a U.S. degree would that also mean it is considered equivalent for the patent exam?

Thank you
IP Logged
plex

Re: foreign degree equivalency
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2007, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You would either qualify as a Category A, if applied physics would be considered the same as Physics, or as a Category B type 1 if you took 24 credits of physics courses intended for physics majors.  

I don't really know about the reputations of the PhD schools you mentioned, but keep in mind reputation matters significantly less than it did for law school.

If you get a PhD in physics and pass the patent bar, you should be in good shape. Unless you have a really bad law school GPA.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2007, 4:14pm by plex » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »