The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 10:55pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Best Options to start Career as Patent Attorney
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Best Options to start Career as Patent Attorney  (Read 885 times)
Boiler1

Best Options to start Career as Patent Attorney
« on: Jun 21st, 2007, 5:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, I am heading into my senior year in Electrical Engineering at Purdue University and am looking to a career in patent law following graduation. I have a year to get my plans in line, and would appreciate your opinions and experience in what you think are the best ways to start this career.

I currently have a 3.95 / 4.0 cumulative (4.0 in major) GPA and have had four rotations at a reputable engineering firm as a co-op. Right now, I am thinking of applying for an examiner's job at the USPTO and going to law school part-time (evening classes). Any advice is appreciated, but here are a few questions that jump to mind:

1. How does the USPTO assist with law school tuition? What are the terms in the agreement for them to help?

2. What alternative options are there to working at the USPTO while going to law school?

3. When should I take the patent bar exam?

4. What law schools would be best to apply for? For example, George Mason seems to specialize in IP law, but Georgetown has an overall more prestigious reputation.

5. What LSAT scores do I need to have a good chance at getting into law schools such as GT?

Any advice and help would be great - thank you!
IP Logged
2Btabby

Re: Best Options to start Career as Patent Attorne
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 5:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

First off congrats on your GPA.  Engineering isnt easy unless you want to study all the time.

1) They will pay for it all, but you have to pay back taxes on it (30%ish).  You are not eligible for 2 years, it takes 4 years to complete law school part-time and then you owe a 3 year commitment.  

2) I'm not totally sure on this, but if you take the patent bar, have the grades you do, and EE... you could be a patent agent.

3) Sooner the better

4) I'm in the DC area... there are LOTS of school's in the region.  Do not forget about George Washington as well.

5) (I can't post the link right now because I'm new and there is some restriction to it.. but you're smart and can maybe figure out this link)  It's an invaluable resource: lawschoolnumbers. c o m... check it out.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »