The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:48am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Help for becoming a patent attorney
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help for becoming a patent attorney  (Read 834 times)
Lily
Help for becoming a patent attorney
« on: Jun 18th, 2007, 5:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have been working as a patent agent (electrical engineering) in a company in Silicon Valley for one year.  Right now I would like to pursue a JD degree in order to become a patent attorney.  There will be 2 options for me:
1. Continue to working in the current company and go to Santa Clara university for a part time JD program.  The company will help to pay for the tuition.  

2. Resign and Go to a good law school in California like Berkeley for a full time JD program.  

For the 1st option, the benefit will be that I can gain some working experience while studying and no worry about the tuition.  However, will a graduate from Santa Clara University have an opportunity to work for a big firm? Right now the IP law ranking for Santa Clara University is top 5 but the overall law school ranking is around 80.  

Any advices? Thank you very much!

IP Logged
guest1040
Re: Help for becoming a patent attorney
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 6:04pm »

If you can get into a t14 school such as Berkeley, then it is definitely worth your while to go there instead of continuing part time at santa clara.  Berkeley will open up more doors for you at a big firm that santa clara won't.   The tuition you pay for going to Berkeley instead won't really matter, because you are pretty much guaranteed a six figure job after graduating from there.  You can pay that school debt off in a few years, no problem.  

Of course, if you manage to graduate top 10 percent at santa clara, then those good grades will open up doors to big firms as well.  But, don't count on graduating top ten percent just yet, everyone wants to get that high, and it is tough as heck to do so.

Also, working full time and going to law school part time is really tough to do, especially for 4 years.  

I think you should go to Berkeley, it will open up more doors for you, even if you had the work experience and went to Santa Clara.

anyone else?
IP Logged
bobloblaw

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 7:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I second the Berkeley recommendation.
IP Logged
Teddy1988
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 9:01pm »

Can you comment how tough it is really to go to part-time law school while working ?

I guess you would work until 5.30pm or so and classes start around 6pm (3 times per week). Do part-time programs have study groups ?
Do you have to spend all weekend studying ?
Is there life outside school/work for the 4 years??

all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »