The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 8:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Aliens taking Patent Bar Exam
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Aliens taking Patent Bar Exam  (Read 2020 times)
A Guest
Re: Aliens taking Patent Bar Exam
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 11:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I concur with pentazole. Additionally, note that your visa (H, L, etc) document must also explicitly state that you can prosecute patents in front of USPTO upon successful passing of he patent bar. My application for appeariing in the patent bar exam was initially rejected by USPTO as didn't state so. I had to amend my H1b for that purpose.
IP Logged
still_studying
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was going over the application (almost ready! woohoo!) the other night, and read through the "aliens" section.

First, the application form asks whether or not the applicant is a permanent resident, so clearly, that's optional.

Second, in reading the documentation with the app, it looks like anyone who is not a permanent resident is not issued a registration number, but instead is only granted "limited recognition".

The information is in the "General Requirements Bulletin" for the 2003 paper exam.  I think it's on the USPTO website as "grb0403 (dot) pdf"
IP Logged
patentsusa

« Reply #7 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 8:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was on an H-1 visa when I took the patent exam and was given a registration number.  It was conditional on maintaining valid visa status and remaining in the country.  When I obtained citizenship I just sent them a letter and they acknowledged it.  But that was in the 80s.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2007, 8:10pm by patentsusa » IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »