The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 9:48am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Where do I gain Patent Experience
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where do I gain Patent Experience  (Read 828 times)
nstabler

Where do I gain Patent Experience
« on: May 24th, 2007, 1:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I've just finished law school, and have been registered as a patent agent. I live in South Florida, and am open to relocation. Where should I be looking for experience. All these jobs seem to want at least a year of two of experience, and i'm wondering, besides working at the USPTO, where else could i gain valuable experience working on patents.  

Thanks
IP Logged
guest47
Re: Where do I gain Patent Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2007, 4:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is your school's career services office helping to set you up with local firms?  I'd suggest sourcing alumni from your school using martindale or another tool.
IP Logged
nstabler

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2007, 5:47pm »

I did the career service office thing about 6 months ago, and they had no one in their database that was practicing patent law. The school has only been accredited for 25 years. St Thomas U. I did the advanced search on martindale and found 3 attorneys, all outside of the state, who are alumni and practicing patent law. At what point in the process should i start looking for a job outside of the patent law field? And if i do, where should i be looking?
IP Logged
MLC_IL

« Reply #3 on: May 25th, 2007, 7:14am »

I also have begun looking for a job as a patent agent.  I have a BSEET and have been in electronics for 18 years.  I now have my USPTO registration number.  It seems that every job opening wants 2-5 years experience.   Where can you get the initial experience?  Finding a mentor to work with would help immensely in getting up to speed quickly and learning the basic ins and outs of patents.  What  would be the best way to get your foot in the door?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »