The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 11:29pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   just what do u think about LLB?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: just what do u think about LLB?  (Read 567 times)
x1200firestarter_pass
just what do u think about LLB?
« on: Apr 29th, 2007, 9:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i'm baffled!

so you guys in the forum have said JD outside USA causes derision. Then why everyone keep doing JD, why not LLB?  
IP Logged
patentsusa

Re: just what do u think about LLB?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 11:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not sure who said that or exactly what you are comparing.  In my mind, a JD in the US is equivalent to an LLB in the U.S., and is roughly equivalent to an LLB in Canada, the UK, or any other country that requires a four year undergrad first.  

In the U.S., you need a full four year bachelor's degree before attending three years of law school to get your JD.  I believe in other countries, such as Mexico, it is possible to get a law degree much quicker, without a full four years of undergrad before it.  Such a law degree is not equivalent to a U.S. JD in my mind, and likely would not be equivalent in the minds of employers.

It is possible to obtain an LLM in the U.S. after a JD but most people are able to get pretty good jobs with a JD and engineering undergrad.  Some people will take an LLM if they weren't able to obtain a job or in order to show an interest in a particular area of law that they aren't able to show with experience.

I think there is a difference when it comes to teaching law.  In some schools, maybe more so outside the U.S., there is so much competition for teaching positions that schools require more than a first law degree to teach.

Not many Americans are looking for law jobs outside the U.S. and have a pretty easy time finding jobs with a JD.  If there was any difference in the U.S. between a JD and an LLB, you would see people preferring one over the other.  I don't think there is any such difference, though.  

Being ABA accredited is the important thing.  There are some non-accredited law schools in California.
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2007, 11:15am by patentsusa » IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »