The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 3rd, 2023, 7:45am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Accreditation of Computer Science Degree
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Accreditation of Computer Science Degree  (Read 5715 times)
Isaac

Re: Accreditation of Computer Science Degree
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24th, 2007, 4:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 24th, 2007, 3:44pm, Anthony wrote:
The 8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics must be obtained in two sequential courses, each course including a lab. Only courses for science or engineering
majors will be accepted.

Based on comments made here by CS majors, this particular requirement appears to be a frequent trip up.  You have to have 2 sequential 4 hour chemistry courses or two sequential 4 hour physics courses with labs in both semesters.   Many schools including those with accredited programs don't require courses like this for CS majors.  

Another trip up is that courses like MIS and IT type courses probably won't count.

But I'm just talking in generalities.  I haven't seen your transcript.

IP Logged

Isaac
stillstudying
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 7:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've been told that passing the A.P. Chemistry exam (high school class for college credit) counts, although it may require a certain score.  (Somewhat irrelevant aside: my university required a 5 (highest score) to be exempted from both semesters of freshman chemistry;  a 4 only exempted someone from the first semester.  Possible relevancy: that might be the PTO's criteria too, at least if I've been told correctly that they will count it.)
IP Logged
BlueMikey

« Reply #7 on: May 7th, 2007, 12:06pm »

Is there some logical reason behind why the USPTO singled out computer science as the only acceptable major that they require to be accredited?

The top four CS schools are generally thought to be Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, and Carnegie-Mellon and, out of those four, only two are accredited.  

In fact, out of the top 10 schools listed on one site I found ranking CS programs, only MIT, Berkeley, and Illinois carry accredited CS programs.  Using the top 20, add UCLA, USC, and Michigan.  If 70% of the top schools in the country don't see accreditation as worthwhile, why does the USPTO?
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #8 on: May 7th, 2007, 1:58pm »

on May 7th, 2007, 12:06pm, BlueMikey wrote:
If 70% of the top schools in the country don't see accreditation as worthwhile, why does the USPTO?

I don't find the argument using the top schools to be all that persuasive.  It could be that accreditation provides a guarantee that certain coursework (which may or may not be computer science courses) has been taken.   If the PTO is interested in that course work, they would logically be unsatisfied with simply looking at the schools rep.

I'd also guess that schools don't view accreditation as necessary unless it causes their students problems out in the job market.   For example, how many of those same schools do you think run unaccredited electrical engineering programs.   I'd guess the answer to be zero.  Problems qualifying for the patent bar are probably not on a school's radar.  

That said, I don't know why the special requirement for CS grads.  

IP Logged

Isaac
plex

« Reply #9 on: May 7th, 2007, 3:03pm »

It is very likely as Isaac has suggested. CS, for whatever reason, has not been given a lot of attention by many schools, even the top schools, for whatever reason, even though it is extremely important in most other technical degrees.

My school has a #4 ranked ME program and a #6 ranked EE program and our CS department is unaccredited. The curriculum is undeveloped and the teachers are of a very noticeably lower caliber than those in the rest of the school.

I place the blame much more at the feet of the universities rather than USPTO and other employers. It is not their job to make sure the schools get their act together. My #1 complaint about my undergrad was its unaccredited CS department.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »