The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:54am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Becoming a Patent Agent/Lawyer
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Examiners passing out of patent bar
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Examiners passing out of patent bar  (Read 2156 times)
peteh
Re: Examiners passing out of patent bar
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2007, 2:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 24th, 2007, 7:20pm, guest01 wrote:
You can take the certification exam anytime after you are a GS-11.  You have to have the cert exam + 4 years of examining experience to waive the registration exam.  That means 4 years of being an examiner AFTER you pass the cert exam. Check the OED website.  
The cert exam is similar to the reg exam, but doesn't include some of the topics that are on the reg exam like fees.

It is my understanding that even with a reg number a former examiner cannot prosecute (sign) applications in the TC area in which they examined for one year after leaving the office.  This should be somewhere online on either the OED site or HR site or it is in the ethics section of 37 CFR.  I know its out there because I've seen it, but that was many moons ago.

Maybe a recent-former examiner will chime in.

According to the MPEP it's 2 years being fully successful after passing the cert exam.  I don't see where the OED website mentions 4 years.
IP Logged
guest01
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:39pm »

Check 37 CFR 11.7(d).
It says you have to have passed the cert exam and have negotiating authority - (d)(ii).  You only get negotiating authority with partial or full sig (GS-13/GS-14).  If the highest level you can start at as an examiner is a GS-11, the minimum time will be about 4 years to be able to waive the reg exam - longer if you started at a lower grade.  This is applicable to examiners who started after July 2004.  Examiners who started before July 2004 can be grandfathered in after 4 years provided that the ratings of the last two years are fully successful.

Call OED if you need additional clarification.
IP Logged
isante
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 7:28am »

"Negotiating authority" is at GS-13.
IP Logged
peteh
« Reply #8 on: May 2nd, 2007, 11:21am »

Yeah, found out you must be at least GS-13 and possibly  GS-14, depending on interpretation of negotiation ability.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »